Aberthaw Lime Works - Added to Everything Else in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 560

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Limited parking is available by the railway bridge just off Fontygary Road - also a layby approx 100m down provides a few more spots. Either way, a short downhill walk, throogh / over a style and wooded paths leads you to the back of teh Lime Kiln building and a pond.

Technically you are inside the Cardiff FRZ so I would call Cardiff ATC and St Athan’s ATC (if daytime) to advise so no panic sets in. I have written permission ‘in principle’ that it should be fine to fly here just pre-advise on the day to the ATC.

Also, be aware that there is quite a bit of wildlife here. If tide is out then there is a huge beach the other side of the sea wall and a short stroll takes you to Aberthaw Power Station (where more parking is also available).

The originator declared that this location was not in a flight restriction zone at the time of being flown. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

2 Likes

Thanks for adding to the map @stubbyd :smiley:

1 Like

Been meaning to do it for a while and during today’s pre-NY peace I’m going to add a couple more.

1 Like

BTW - can you edit my description to bolden the fact that Cardiff ATC need to be contacted?

@stubbyd any suggestions on contacting Cardiff ATC?

I used the link from this message before:

This leads you to:
https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-03-25-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

Click on Aerodromes under Part 3 which expands a list of local airports. Find and click on Cardiff and all the info you could ever want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Drone Scene also has all the ATC contact details on each FRZ layer now too.

3 Likes

Ah yes - had forgotten that. Thanks Rich.

I’ve flown here too @stubbyd :grin:

OOI, did you contact the ATC? And if so, how did you find the process?