Barbury Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

The remnants of the 2,500 year old Iron Age castle. The mound is all that is left, but it is steeped in history.

The park lies about three miles south-west of Chiseldon. From the M4 Junction 15 follow the A346 towards Marlborough until you see signs for Chiseldon. Then follow signs for Barbury Castle.

The area is about a 10 minute walk from the free car park. There are no steps or styles but there is a swing gate. There are normally a few people here with their, walking their dogs. Bring decent boots as it is often muddy.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/01/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

Nice video and great location :+1:
when you say “land owner permission not required”…great, however,…
what about take off and landing…surely permission for that part of the flight?
Might you have the land-owner contact details for your take-off site please?
Thanks

No, as it is one of Swindon Borough Council’s publics parks and areas for recreation.

Thats sounds good, however, …(and apologies for sounding penatic, however, I hope you understand that my motivation is to adopt best practise and arrange compliant flight before I fly somewhere new), could you please help me better understand:

1. That council webpage is not explciit about whether model aircraft/drone takeoff/landing is permitted or not. Perhaps it is explcit elsewhere on the council website?
  2. I note that some councils e.g. Bath do not permit take/off landing in any council parks - see Model aircraft and drone flying in our Parks | Bathnes
  3. 2021 CAA regs always require permission from land-owner for takeoff/landing, right?
    Thanks in advance for clear guidance - much appreciated.

I am still learning myself, so I suggest you get a 2nd opinion from someone else :wink:

But my tupenceworth, this is my view …

1. I have only flown from public areas so far, and always checked the website. If there is anything on there that specifically tells me “I cannot fly drones”, I will gladly abide.
  2. Noted, fortunately that isn’t the case in this instance.
  3. If its private land, sure. They own the land, but not the airspace above (unless its an FRZ). If its a public park or recreation area, and I am qualified to fly my drone in such an area, and there are no specific limitations clearly posted (tinternet or signs) - then I do not need permission.
2 Likes

A very pragmatic and reasonable approach - thank you!

3 Likes

Did you take off from the car park or one of the lay byes at the bottom of the hill? Just trying to make certain I will be in the clear. Flying drones in the UK is very different to South Africa legality wise and all the info I can find is pretty vague.

No, I took off from the grass where the red X is. Many people park in the East car park, but it is a good 15 minute walk. I park in the lay-by close to the West side of the Barbury Castle. Then walk through the gate and up the hill, no more than 5 minutes.