Basing Common - Added to Historic Buildings in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Old Basing Common is a wide open area next to the remains of Basing House.

It once rivaled Hampton Court Palace in its size ( more rooms ) and opulence. Today only parts of the basement or lower ground floor, plus the foundations and earthworks, remain.

Other than a few low trees along old boundaries, the area us wide and open. The Basing House remains are slightly to the North of the pin pointed location.

Care should be taken as there are pylons running to the south of the Common alongside the main road.

There are many footpaths running across the area so expect people to be about and in summer there are loose horses on the fields that can get a little nosy.

Access is easy, you can park along the roads by the Common in Old Basing to the East or in the Basing Limepits Carpark ( just off the A33 on Redbridge Lane ) just to the West.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 01/01/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Hi does anyone know if you can still fly here ?

There are no airspace restrictions here @Gaz89

Thank you im just starting up and live in Farnborough and its a nightmare to find anywhere to practice

2 Likes

Yes it’s all fine around here. Just be aware of Odiham RAFs flight areas and keep an ear out for the Chinnocks.

The Common ( overlooking Basing House) , Basing Fen and other areas are nice and open with good VLOS. Keep an eye out for pylons.

2 Likes

@Christopher thanks for your help, do your know anymore places in the area ?

There’s a fair bit around (with parking too).

Basingstokers can be a bit funny over Eastrop and the nice glass buildings (used to be offices but now flats) in the centre. But around old Basing there are some good out door areas depending on what you fancy.

Some of my shots can be seen here ;Looking Down at Things | Flickr

Thanks @Christopher I’ll give old basing a try im going to Iceland in a couple of months so just want somewhere to practice before i go. Thanks for your help

That sounds wonderful! Basing isnt overly similar, but the bakery on the street has similarly eye watering prices! I look forward to seeing the photos (of Iceland not a cake) !

1 Like