Blithfield Reservoir - added to Lakes & Reservoirs, in the West Midlands, on the map at DroneScene.co.uk

I have just added this to the UK Map of places to fly your Drone at https://dronescene.co.uk

![](upload://ckgPYCAbpX4vYMuVENfF4ds7oF2.jpg)

My first attempt at videoing a location and editing aerial footage taken with my DJI Mavic Po.

Was fun and challenging to edit 25 minutes of footage down to around 3 minutes in FCPX.

The weather was quite windy on the day, so my concentration was a more geared to getting the Mavic home safely after sending it out 1.2 miles from one end of the reservoir to the other.

Shot in 4k, downscaled to 1080p for this video.

Settings: D-Log with sharpness +1, contrast -1, saturation 0

Used ICARUS LUT Film Contrast 2 and messed around quite a bit with exposure and saturation as being a beginner, and making beginner mistakes whilst filming, I kept adjusting exposure in-flight (schoolboy error).

Music: High Altitude Bliss by Eric Matyas - www.soundimage.org

3 Likes

Love the Grey Arrows link in the opening title :smiley:

That place is seriously big :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yep, was scary with the wind flying so far away.

But I checked before flying and there were no major sources of power (substations etc) close.

Continuous line of sight, so little to interfere.

I also had the FCC hack on to give me a better signal :wink:

Nice video, one of my go to LUT’s, film contrast 1+ 2.

1 Like

Great video - just curious, are you aware of the active airfield at the edge of Blithfield? I’m a drone pilot and GA who flies from the airfield there.

Hi Andy,

I had checked on the Drone Assist app before flying and there were no specific hazards reported to be aware of at the time I was there.

It was marked as a yellow warning area and advised to follow the drone code / fly safely

Go4 App was useless as it didn’t show any warnings at that time. Not sure if any recent firmware / app upgrades since then have highlighted it any

Thanks for pointing this out though.

1 Like

No prob - wasnt having a go btw, no rules were broken!
It is a small but pretty active airfield, the runway is north of the causway so if drones are below 400’ and over the water there will probably be sufficient separation. Should the drone stray North of the reservoir I suspect that it would be perceived as a problem.
Only posting it to make others aware if they use this site for inspiration…
Cheers
Andy

1 Like

No worries. I know there is a restricted area a little further east from the reservoir, but could only go by what drone assist was warning on the day.

1 Like

Hi Can you contact me Id like to use your footage for a research project bob@greenscienceuk.com

1 Like

I’ll ping @RaRaRasputin whose video it is.

Blithfield suggest drone use is strictly prohibited (likely security concerns)
Which seem odd as it has a road running across it.
Steve.

(South Staffs water)

We appreciate you asking for advice however unfortunately drone flying at Blithfield is strictly forbidden and any footage you may have seen will have been taken without permission unless it is the official footage filmed by South Staffs Water.

We have many stakeholders here whose privacy must be respected along with private residences along the banks and on the wider Estate which have been previously subject to illegal and intrusive flying of drones. In addition to this unauthorised filming of any of our structures and assets is also prohibited. We are also within a very short distance (500m) of a private local airfield which adds to the complications and legislation regarding drones.

Good luck with that South Staffs Water

2 Likes