Bolton Abbey - Added to Historic Buildings in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale, North Yorkshire, England, takes its name from the ruins of the 12th-century Augustinian monastery now known as Bolton Priory. The priory, closed in the 1539 Dissolution of the Monasteries ordered by King Henry VIII, is in the Yorkshire Dales, next to the village of Bolton Abbey.

The estate is open to visitors, and includes many miles of all-weather walking routes. The Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway terminates at Bolton Abbey station one and a half miles/2.5 km from Bolton Priory.

2 Likes

Hey

Really like this one question where did you park and take off from?

1 Like

I’m of to Bolton Abbey soon with my family and Bolton Abbey is on the Drone Scene map but on their website it says no drone flying.
If I can’t fly there that’s fine but how far does this restriction apply around the abbey ?? as there are other attractions in the area. The abbey is just NW of Leeds Bradford airport well outside of its Class D airspace.
Hope I can find somewhere to fly when we go.
Thanks in advance :+1::soccer::crazy_face:

Key phrase:

“we do not permit the launching or landing of drones for personal use on the estate”

Lots and lots of threads on here about similar rules and they almost always conclude “They can stop you taking off/landing, but they can’t stop you flying in the airspace. So find somewhere else to take off and land and you’re fine”.

That said - looking at their website, the estate is huge and includes 48 of the surrounding farms and 1500 acres of woodland. Good luck figuring out what is/isn’t “the estate” and then finding a suitable TOAL spot. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, Niko. Yours is yet another query that can be answered in short with: They can forbid you from taking off, controlling and landing (TOAL) your craft from their land but they don’t own the skies above it beyond a height that allows them “reasonable enjoyment of their property”. So if you can find a public space nearby that you can fly from, follow the drone code, and maintain a sensible height, you’re good to go.

Most recent thread that’s covered this extensively is this one:

1 Like

Just a guess… :rofl:

2 Likes

That helipad looks ideal.

1 Like

When I got to Bolton Abbey I didn’t find any no flying drone signs. Does the estate have to post these as the only no flying was on the website ?
As it happened I didn’t fly just in case!!:cry::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: