Bolton Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

This castle is privately owned and as such they do not permit drone activity.
On exiting the castle complex I parked in a lay-by about 400m from the castle here I did my TOAL.
I did however keep quite high as you can see as the Castle has a falconry.
Would you believe it, as soon as I took off they let the birds out. So not wanting to disturb them, I kept my distance.

The car park is £3 for all day.

The castle entrance fee for the house and gardens is £12.50 for adults under 60.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/05/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Just a few more

3 Likes

Last time we were there, my missus climbed to the top of the tower in a gale and stood there hanging on for dear life to the flag pole!
While we were inside, everybody was looking at the wall hangings etc, and I was looking out the windows, just in time to see a Tornado shoot past at about 50 feet high!

:hushed:
She was lucky.
:see_no_evil:

Passed Bolton Castle on our way to Aysgarth Falls on a walking hol last Oct. It was closed! Took these on our journey

The last one is a log that some local artist carved as an aligator. Didn’t have a drone then but going back this Oct. Love Yorkshire.

No Steve, give her her due, the silly cow, sorry brave girl, went right to the top of a steep staircase and out onto the battlements. I supported her from about ten steps farther down and shouted encouragement up to her!

I went to Aysgarth after the castle. Couldn’t put a pin down it was packed so I drove on.
It actually took me about 10 minutes to get over the bridges.
I was beginning to wonder if they were rein-acting the water fall fight with Mr. Costner :see_no_evil:

It was pretty busy when we went despite the dodgy weather we had. The river was well in spate as it had rained all week! :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops: Got some good walking in though, just wish I had my drone back then. :yum: :yum:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @speatuk :grin:

2 Likes

Spent many weekends here in my youf.

Best friends parents have a cottage in the village.

It’s not changed in the 40 years I’ve known the place, probably been like it since the castle was built to be honest.

Great part of the world, busy in tourist season unfortunately

This is the link to my short flight at Bolton Castle.

Bolton Castle link "I flew here too’