Chatterley Whitfield Colliery Heritage Centre - Added to Historic Buildings in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Plenty of free parking on the access road. I flew from the industrial estate as it was closed during the lock-down. Under normal circumstances possibly fly from the top of the old spoil heap in the country park.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 15/05/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

Thanks for adding to the map @northernlights53

I love old abandoned engineering stuff like this :clap:t2:

I went up there after seeing from the road 12 month ago but there was a security guard on the industrial estate so I didn’t bother lol nice shots there well done!! :+1:

The industrial estate is currently open & deserted if you want to go back!

Nice one I might just have to cheers northernlights53

If you do go, when you enter through the main gate head left up the grassy slope. Keep going up to the top then bear right - this will bring you to the fence right at the end of the building complex. Nice, flat, unobstructed area to fly from.

2 Likes

I have flew a couple of times from the top of the spoil heap, also down by the wagons. Nice area to fly in .

Thanks for the info appreciated :+1:

1 Like

hi, picture looks good , did you get any bother from anyone here, do you have a video.

The industrial estate was deserted because of the lockdown. Not sure of the situation now, but easy enough to find out, just drive up the road & have a look!

I’d intended shooting video with the second battery, but started getting a lot of “strong wind” warnings, so decided to be sensible, & brought the bird back.

2 Likes

Hi, i dont think your allowed in the site in a car unless the guard would let you.but i have seen a video on youtube of the guard kicking off about flying over the place.
i have been up there today and have 7gb of video from there, its a shame the trust and council have let it rot to %ÂŁ$%. really annoys me.
can i upload video to this site or do i use youtube.? cheers

Upload to Vimeo or YouTube then simply paste the url to the video on a blank line in a post here and the forum will automatically embed the video player for you.

No need to take a car into the site - it’s only five minutes walk from the road to the fence.

Will have to try this out 18miles from me but love old buildings :+1: thanks for putting this on.

I’m heading up to this site tomorrow, will update you if any issues. Thanks for the post and info @northernlights53

https://www.wevideo.com/view/1830620441

Visited here today and had a little fly, how lovely the walk around the reserve is. Interesting to read up about the colliery and how they made it into the first underground museum and how it is nearly half the size it used to be. Could not get in through gates but did go on to the reserve and had plenty of views on a beautiful day with my flask of coffee and cream biscuit’s- attached a ling for my video. thanks again Northern Lights :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the idea of tea and biscuits, it’s a really nice site to fly , my father worked at that pit for over 30 years.

Biscuits went down well Jim :grin: I bet your Dad told you some stories, there is a peaceful look about the place yet it would be scary to go in. I read up about the colliery and put some notes on video , it’s a lovely place just to have a walk.

Once that pit joined with the one in Wolstanton ,I think they closed Chatterley Whitfield? Not a 100% sure but my dad work at Wolstanton till he retired. A very nice video well done.

1 Like

Visited today for a quick flight………I say quick because I thought I’d charged my other batteries and hadn’t so didn’t only managed 1 flight.

Parked on the industrial estate next to the gate that leads to the park walk and walked 5 mins to the spoil heap and flew from there.

Thanks for the info, will definitely return with more batteries :man_facepalming:

4 Likes