Clifton Suspension Bridge - Added to Bridges in the South West region on the map at DroneScene.co.uk

I have has just added this to the UK Map of places to fly your Drone at https://dronescene.co.uk

2 Likes

TOAL permission for Clifton and Durdham Downs is restricted by byelaw to those entitled to use Article 16 and holders of A2CofC or GVC with public liabilty insurance.

There is an excellent TOAL location between The Observatory and the clifftop. If you fly quite close to the bridge (check map) you can avoid flying over the Portway (the very busy road that runs along the Clifton side of the River Avon) as this part of it is covered due to the danger of rockfalls.

Leigh Woods, on the Somerset side of the river is not available as this is National Trust.

@BillyBiggles Do you have a link to the mentioned byelaw ?

The byelaws are are available here:
https://www.bristol.gov.uk/documents/20182/32823/Park+Byelaws
The relevant byelaw is part 6, byelaw 25. This amounts to a blanket ban on 400+ parks and green spaces. I’ve raised this with the BMFA but they say the the byelaws override their permissions.

The designated areas are very few, basicaly The Downs and very small areas three suburban parks.

The details of these and conditions for their use are here.
What you can do in our parks and green spaces - bristol.gov.uk
then select ‘Model Aircraft and Drones’.

I’ve flown here too :grin:

1 Like

Apparentley bye laws cannot overrule UK law, so as the CAA says its safe to fly, the bye law is bollocks.

I’m familiar with this video and agree that everything he says is valid. However, the CAA governs the airspace only. These byelaws govern take-off and landing (and many other activities on the Downs) and are legally enforceable. The Byelaws linked above are very specific. They do not overrule UK law.

Thanks for clearing that up, so easy to fall foul.

You’re welcome, it’s a minefield!

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Parking marker to this location :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

1 Like

Where are these, I can’t see them on the map

Hope this helps :blush:

Hey Greg, see you are in Bristol as well.
If you cant see on the map I Parked on The Prominade, just by the Royal Naval Reserve and walked up the footpath to the observatory. Took off from area just back from the viewpoint.

1 Like