Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale - Added to Rivers and Canals in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

A great place to visit any time of year. The dog friendly Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery (The Royal Barn) is a must if you like beer, coffee & cake.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 18/01/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Do you know how it got its name Paul @TallTakes ?

1 Like

The most iconic sight in Kirkby Lonsdale is the three-arched medieval bridge across the River Lune. There seems to be some doubt over when the bridge was built; some estimates place it in the late 12th century, but other’s place the date of construction around 1370. The eastern end of the bridge is punctuated with a sundial on an octagonal post. We don’t know who built the bridge but it seems likely it was the work of the monks of St Mary’s Abbey in York.

The bridge was later ascribed to the Devil. The story grew that the Devil appeared to an old woman and promised to build a bridge in exchange for the first soul to cross it. The woman agreed, so the Devil built the bridge. The clever old woman then threw a loaf of bread over the bridge and her dog chased it. The Devil had to take the dog and leave the bridge without a human soul.

1 Like

Just one of dozens of bridges with much the same story :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like @stevesb has beaten me to it :clap:

2 Likes

Location of my first open-water scuba dive 30 years ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great bike place in the 90’s often did the Sunday morning Squires to DB run

2 Likes

Did we do a parallel universe……??

:thinking:

1 Like