Ferry Boat, Hayling Island - Added to Coastal Scenery in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

At this location is a pub - the Ferry Boat, a cafe and a car park which, like all Hayling car parks demands money but never gets money spent on its upkeep. It is a popular place to go, especially in the summer and/or good weather.

The car park is adjacent to the beach and 350 metres across the harbour mouth is the Portsmouth district of Eastney with a marina and a lifeboat station. There is a small ferry for passengers only that runs from the Ferry Boat to a jetty on the Eastney side where a bus connects. No such luck on the Hayling side, it's a 3km walk to the nearest bus stop.

There are concrete strips along the car park edge which conveniently mark car spaces. Their original purpose was to act as bearers and slips for the four Phoenix caissons that were built there - concrete components of the two Mulberry Harbours that were towed across the channel to create artificial harbours on the Normandy coast just a couple of days after D-Day. One of the caissons broke its back before it could be used and lies abandoned 300 metres north of the Hayling ferry jetty.

On a quiet day you can launch from the car park, in the summer it is best to accept the car parking charge, leave the car and wander into the dune area to find a site away from people.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 10/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Thank you Robert for this location to the DroneScene map.

I’ve flown here too @macspite :grin:

1 Like

I want to fly here @macspite, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?

I have done but it is a bit restrictive. As the description above says TOAL is dependent on how crowded it is so the actual take off point varies and is down to your judgement of the circumstances on the day.