Fort Gilkicker - Added to Castles & Fortifications in the South East region on the map at DroneScene.co.uk

I have has just added this to the UK Map of places to fly your Drone at https://dronescene.co.uk

Great place with views of the Isle of Wight and the old Fort which is hidden from view.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark1 welcome to Grey Arrows :+1:

I was in the IoW a couple of months ago - alas it was foggy when I went to the Needles! Couldn’t see a thing - and this was at the height of summer!

So I came back from my trip with little to no footage.

I came across the worlds tamest fox in the needles car park though, I nearly brought him home with me :smiley:

Hi Ping Spike
Thank you. I must get to the needles soon. Would love to get some great footage of them if it’s allowed.

I’ve flown here too @De3mx :grin:

1 Like

Flew around and over Gilkicker last month. The dirt mound around it now has been dug up and raised slightly higher. VTS Radar has also been removed.

I’ve flown here too @De3mx :grin:

3 Likes

I’m not sure what parking is like for cars but I managed to park my motorcycle at the end of Military Road [///hiding.proud.yoga]

I found a nice spot just by the dunes as my launch site [///myself.bolt.moving].

I visited on a bank holiday Monday. There were a few people around, but nothing that interfered with the flight.

Everyone was friendly, and I had a short chat with one person about the history of the site.

1 Like

When did you capture that image? The last time I flew at Gilkicker you couldn’t see those archways around the wall at all. they had been all covered with compacted soil. :slightly_frowning_face:

:wink:

2 Likes

Ahh. Pleased to see it been removed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Monday just gone

I’ve flown here too @Mark1 :grin:

With regards to parking, Military road was open (and the sign at the entrance to the road implies that it is a public road) however when I got to the bottom, the area you think you could park in has been fenced off with big angry “NO UNAUTHORISED ENTRY” and “Dog Patrol” signs all over it. So I ended up going down the road to the Gilkicker car park (pin) and walking down closer.

Probably COULD have parked right by the fort, just outside the fence though but I was unsure about ownership of property and went with the safe option instead.

Lots of construction work going on at the moment with heavy machinery and people working.

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Parking marker to this location @Mark1 :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice images, good to see the work is continuing… You could have flown down to Monckton and grabbed a few images!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

1 Like

1 Like

I’m surprised DJI only have that as an authorisation zone. I flew near to it last year but didn’t fancy testing out what could potentially be on site re any drone fly overs.

1 Like

I kept well clear of the MOD site. You’re right it IS strange there isn’t a proper geozone. You’re also right to be concerned probably about any potential anti drone devices they may have considering who works on that site.

1 Like

?

Nothing on DJI GeoZones for there …

I think the DJI map layers are down at present on their maps . Mine was working perfectly a few days ago when I went to check an area on the Fly App, but yesterday most of the layers are missing.

That screenshot from DS is JUST the DJI GeoZones … and L-o-S is showing perfectly OK … as would their other zones.