Grafham Water Valve Tower - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in East of England

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

A lovely place to fly when it is not windy.
Plenty of parking but the don't always open on time.
Good facilities on site food and toilets.

sola farm near by but did not cause me any problem as I did not fly over it.
more info @ https://anglianwaterparks.co.uk/grafham-water

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 28/03/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Wow, a stunning video. You’ve captured the beautiful lighting - smooth panning. ice mood. Thanks for adding this as a must-visit place.

Thank you for your comments :blush: it is a nice place but when it is wind it’s very different !

1 Like

Did you use any filters to avoid been overexposed the Valve Tower? If you don’t mind of course:) To me, it looks like tricky exposure compensation.

Funny you should ask , as i was trying them out and i used 32 as it was very bright .

This is very near to me, and last time that I went there, every car park was clearly labelled with “No Drones” signs ?? Due to the large amount of wildlife within the confines of the location.
As the public places to launch were few and far between I decided not to bother.
Have the signs gone now ?? As the wardens are usually very active due to the fact that they “patrol” the car parks regularly to ensure that they are getting their pound of flesh from everyone parked.

I didn’t see any signs but i was not looking for any. I alway check Drone scene first before i fly and their are no restrictions.
Also their is nothing about drones on their web site

In the interests of public safety drones are not permitted 
on any Anglian Water Park without the prior written consent 
by Anglian Water Services Ltd.

Well I know now luckily it was early in the morning not many ppl about. Must ask next time unless I take off not on their land.

It wouldn’t stop me :wink:

1 Like

Let us know how you get on if you ask Anglian Water for permission.
I am guessing you will get a firm ‘NO’ because of wildlife etc. I live near Rutland Water and have yet to survey that for any suitable areas where i can TOAL outside the park and be away from the bird areas.

Looks like you can use drones to spot nesting birds :blush:

Water company first as Anglian use drones to spot nesting birds (anglianwater.co.uk)

I want to fly here @Acedrone, have you got any tips or advice on where to park or take off from?

2 Likes

Hi Peter, To take off from outside of Grafham water i use this place

But vision is limited but the water tower is not far away so you still have eyes on drone. I like to fly at sunrise or a couple of hours befor sunset as not many people are about.

A second option is to use the car park at what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location and walk to the location. But you will be on Anglian water land which can causes problems if site workers aproch you. So best to make sure your not on Anglian water land.

It would be great to see your pictures if you go. One more tip if you go, Go when the wind is very light as you can get big gusts of wind coming of he water.

Happy flying

1 Like

Great.Thanks very much. Great information. I kind of know it there. I hit the button to add to places I’d like to fly and hadn’t realised that an automated message got posted

1 Like