Hail Sand Fort - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Plenty of free parking at Humber mouth, acess through Fitties.Large expanse of beach stright infront of car park to take off and land. At low tide you can walk across the sand quite a way to fort. Unable to walk up to fort due to Tetney beck that runs acroos the sand

Haile Sand Fort was one of two sea forts built to defend ports along the Humber. Construction on the fort began in 1915 and it opened in early 1917. It comprised a hexagonal foundation with circular walls built on top with a diameter of 20.1 metres (66ft). The circular walls were constructed with concrete and faced with steel armour plating, which measured 0.5 inches all around. A further layer of steel plating lined the concrete shell internally. The fort was capped by its gun floor, which originally mounted two 4 inch quick-firing Mk.V weapons and a two-storey, central battery observation post. In 1940 the fort acquired two 12 pounder guns, which were replaced by two 6 pounder guns in 1941. The battery was in use throughout the war and retained for use afterwards. The army moved out in 1956 but the fort was armed up until the early 1960s. The fort was sold recently to an unknown purchaser for £117,000

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 10/02/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

what a amazing place it looks and at £117,000 not a bad price if your a bit handy at building work

Wow, never knew this even existed.

Above is a video I did of the fort.

John

Flew out over the fort this weekend, first time I’ve got fully out as my original mini struggled but the mini 4 handled it with no issues.

1 Like

Don’t forget to click the button …

… on Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Hail Sand Fort - Castles and Fortifications in Yorkshire and the Humber

I’ve flown here too @john768 :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @john768 :grin:

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Parking marker to this location @john768 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @john768 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like