Ham Common/Rockley Park - Added to Beaches and Seaside Resorts in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission obtained.

Another hidden gem- explore inner Poole harbour and the entrance to the River Frome.
Situated within Rockley Park.
Be aware of local military bases.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 10/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Nice, I’ve never thought of flying there, can I ask who you sought permission from and did they impose any restrictions, times to fly etc?

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
This looks like an old post but I too would like more info on this site. It looks rather good to me but I don’t want to go charging in there without knowing the rules, if any, and who gave permission.
Does anybody out there know any more?? This is my first post as a noob to this site, so any advice on flying a fixed wing in the local area, I’m based in Poole, would be much appreciated.
Thanks all!

Calling Paul @lurch003 for some more details :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you PingSpike!

1 Like

No rules buddy, it’s public land. It’s no longer a free car park, gotta love the council, but I flew from next to the car so unless you’re trekking around the area, I wouldn’t worry about getting a ticket.
Just use common sense- don’t fly over the caravan park and make a nuisance, go out over the water and explore the bay- sunsets are particularly amazing here!

The marines base is nearby to the East and obviously restricted so don’t go near that.

Just noticed you said “fixed wing”- what are you flying?

Well for ages now myself and a friend have been flying the little sub 250grams eachine war birds at a local park (Canford heath). Then of course we were so impressed with how well they flew for such small models we went mad one night a ordered a FMS 800mm war bird each and are now looking for somewhere bigger to fly.
Just love the scale thing, and once you catch the bug, you know how it is :crazy_face:

Would you trust them over water? Not sure ham common is big enough to be honest while being safe near the caravan park.

Canford Heath is perfect… Slade’s farm? Hengistbury (wind allowing)? Meyrick Park? Queens Park? Branksome Rec? Upton?

Hi, You are correct, it probably is too small for fixed wing but I thought i’d ask anyway.
Canford heath i’m looking into, Slade’s farm is allowed but apart from the a sign warning about models, everyone just ignores the sign/models and just walk/lie down/walk dog/play football etc and makes it impossible to fly from a safety point of view. Hengistbury head is out ( used to do a little bit of slope soring there in the eighties) because it is now a protected beauty spot. Meyrick park, again I used to do line control here in the seventies as a school boy. Meyrick is mentioned on bmth council’s web site as able to fly here, but that’s it, no other info is given. no times position anything!
To say this situation is frustrating is putting it mildly! Anyway thanks for your input, i’ll let you know if I find anywhere suitable. :grimacing:

1 Like