Hardknott Roman Fort - Added to Castles and Fortifications in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Edit: It should be noted that this falls just within National Trust property. I should be possible to TOAL from non-NT property.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 13/03/2018. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

9 Likes

Thanks for adding to the map @markas !

It’s a nice place to visit, when the weather is OK! Just be prepared for the Hardknott pass which is very steep, gives the car some exercise!

1 Like

Great photo of a beautiful site. Added to my bucket list. Just reading up on it …

“Built between about 120 and 138, garrisoned by the 4th Cohort of Dalmatian auxiliaries.”

I was fortunate enough to win 3rd prize in the wiki loves monuments photo competition with this one, entered on the off chance never expecting to get anywhere.

4 Likes

I want to fly here @markas, have you got any other tips or advice?

Hi Steve

Is there anything specific you want to know? There is a small parking area on Hardknott pass, about 100 metres from the fort, it’s an uphill walk to get there. I went in March that year so it was very quiet, dare say in summer it can get busy and I know a lot of people drive hardknott pass as it is one of the steepest roads in England. It is National Trust but there was no one around to stop me flying at the time I visited.

I dare say main challenges are picking a decent day weather wise to avoid wind and rain.

1 Like

Thanks