Letocetum Roman Baths - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

There is a small free car park just towards the end of Watling Street, if it's full use street parking, however park responsibly and do not obstruct junctions or driveways.

There is a public footpath that continues off Roman Walk where you can TOAL which is not on the National Trust/English Heritage site. You can also use the nearby church but check you won't be disturbing anyone.

As this is owned by National Trust and in stewardship of English Heritage it's a bit of a double whammy! I'd advise only flying when the museum is closed to avoid any NT/EH staff. When I flew there was a local busy body about who seemed to enjoy stopping and talking to everyone for what seemed an eternity. People do pop up from time to time to walk around. I used a Mini 2 and no one visiting the site seemed to even notice it. I think they assumed the props noise a nearby grass strimmer or something!

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 20/11/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

Is this the one that’s signposted “Roman Site”, or something equally nondescript, off the A5? I’ve driven past many times and wondered what it was.

Yep, it’s not very exciting, but something to do if you’re bored!

I went there in the early 80’s after a quick stop off at the Trooper pub up the hill. The guy on the gate asked me for some amount of money, to which I delicately replied “I’m not paying to see my National Heritage that belongs to all of the people of the country” (or something like that), to which he retorted “well fuck off then!”
There’s no arguing with that really!

You’ll be glad to know 40 years later its free.

And the obligatory video.

Been busy today Ade! Like this one must get to see this one day

I’m probably still banned from getting in!