Lune Head Stone Circle - North Pennines AONB (Teesdale) - Added to Monuments in North East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Small stone circle in the North Pennines AONB.

No parking as such, I stopped in a small farmers track: ///restores.cabinet.frogs be careful it is a rough track, not suitable for low vehicles.

Lune Head Stone Circle - This is a lovely little very accessible circle located beside the B6276 8 or 9 kilometers north of Brough.

The circle is about 10 metres in diameter and comprises 8 small boulders with another two possible stones that are outside of the ring.

The circle looks across the valleys of the Lune Head and Cleave becks with views to Seset reservior in the east along Lunedale.

This area is rich in mineral veins and has been heavily mined in the past. Just across the valley are the remains of the Lunehead lead and Barytes mine. If you check out the mole hills along the road side you can pick up large lumps of Barytes recognisable by it's white colour and rhombic crystals.

Just behind the circle is a lovely example of a rake, a narrow deep channel cut into the rock to exract a mineral vein.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 28/07/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like