Mow Cop Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

There is a free (2hr) car park at the base of the castle. The land is owned by national trust.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 11/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

9 Likes

Hi, don’t take off or land in the car park, N/T ranger will ask you stop flying Or leave. There are areas just outside there zone to fly from? I always look at Mow cop every morning on my way too work. There can also be a lot of low flying aircraft in the area so keep to the drone code please.

1 Like

Hi, I had a look at this site last year before I joined this site with a view to making a short video, but found that there is a "No Drone flying " sign at the entrance to the car park. I was gutted as it was a brilliant day for filming and flying. The drone restriction is at the bottom of the list of things you can’t do on the information sign.

As noted already in this thread, this is a National Trust site, and they cannot enforce any flying restriction if the pilot is standing outside their land (so long as you don’t cause a nuisance to other visitors). The boundaries of the NT property are shown on DroneScene. Park at the car park, and then see whether you can find a safe TOAL spot outside their boundary.

1 Like

Hi all I’m new here and to this drone scene and I’ve visited mow cop castle this morning for my first photo/video shot with my dji mini 2 your thighs would be appreciated

8 Likes

Maybe add a couple of lines to the introductions section (nice photos though)

Great photos, looks like a scene from Game of Thrones :crossed_swords: :crown: :dagger:

1 Like

Thanks and not sure What to add or where to put it I’m still learning with all this

Does look a little eary doesn’t it would of been better if a little darker :ok_hand:

Beautiful shots. Well done.

Thank you I’m pleased with them for my first attempt

1 Like

@Shreka - Those first 3 images are fantastic.
I visited Mow Cop earlier today just to take some ‘regular camera’ shots, but when I realised the few other people who’d been up there had gone, I thought I may as well give it a quick orbit and take a couple of shots.
I’d just landed after only being in the air for around 4 minutes, when out of nowhere I was approached an NT Drone Policeman and asked if I had seen the many ‘No Drones’ signs?
Which reminds me …Does anyone remember the kids TV show Mr. Benn where each episode he enters a fancy dress shop only to emerge in character and have an adventure. One day he might be a zookeeper, or a rubber clad gimp, or even an NT Drone Policeman!
I guess their advert for that job sounded quite exciting :grinning:

1 Like

Not a single one officer, sorry.

1 Like

Hj there it is a no drone zone
area but that is taking of from there land as it’s a national
Trust but there’s plenty of places to safely take of from
Without going on there land infact it’s in such a good position you don’t even have to fly over there land or close to it

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @andyako321 :grin:

1 Like
4 Likes

Run and cycled up there so many times :slight_smile: I once saw a guy right at the bottom of the tower flying a drone! Well on the NT land, but easy to fly it with TOAL off of NT land!

I’ve flown here too @andyako321 :grin:

1 Like

Went to Mow Cop yesterday, Friday 24th TOL from w3w Leads Smashes Stamp outside NT land near the castle. No issues was a little windy though.

1 Like

Thanks for the w3w @G4YTK… think will give it a try if weather is any good this weekend :blush::crossed_fingers: