Northney Marina and Common, Hayling Island, Hampshire - Added to Coastal Scenery in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Driving over the bridge to Hayling be prepared to turn left as soon as you reach the island.

Follow the road, there is a sharp right-hand bend at the marina and hotel entrance. Follow the road round, left hand bend and past the houses there is a car park on the left with a 2m height barrier

Park and follow the path northward. I launched from the marker on the map but there is plenty of space to pick your spot.

The marina is one obvious attraction but from 400 feet you can get views of the whole of the island. Chichester and Langstone harbours and, in the distance, the Solent and the Isle of Wight.

The modern housing estate is built on the site of the old Northney Holiday Camp, opened in 1931 by Captain Harry Warner, ex Royal Artillery., When war came it was considered for a PoW camp but the accommodation was judged to austere for German prisoners. It was commandeered by the Navy for use as a barracks. It was named HMS Northney 1 and eventually there were five HMS Northneys on Hayling, confusing enemy and ally alike!

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 15/09/2019. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

Thank you @macspite for continuing to add to the DroneScene map

Iā€™m doing my best to get the Gold Pinseeker badge before that overly competitive swine @McSteamy2010 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Haha! Damn you :joy:

1 Like