Pomona Strand, Manchester - Added to Rivers and Canals in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

This is an area of waste ground suitable for flying in Open subcategories A1 and A2. I've positioned the marker to indicate a spot 150m away from the nearest buildings.

There are good aerial views towards Manchester city centre, Salford, Media City, Old Trafford etc.

Hazards: The area is derelict and sometimes there is anti-social use: I suggest be especially wary after dark. Possibility of drug needles etc on the ground.

Accessibility: I parked on Cornbrook Road next to Bennet Brothers (M15 4WB). There is a gap in the fence leading to Pomona Strand (not level access for the disabled). There has been access in the past from Pomona Wharf / Waterways Avenue, and from the south end of Pomona Strand, but I haven't checked these recently.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 25/11/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip. South end of Pomona Strand is not accessible now, they have a housing development and gated off the road currently. Here’s what it looks like in daytime.

1 Like