Richmond Park Flying Field - Added to Forests and Trees in London

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 600

Land owner permission not required.

One of the few places you can fly drones in London: Flying drones in Richmond Park - Richmond Park - The Royal Parks

Parking is available and it’s a short walk to the flying field.

The originator declared that this location was not in a flight restriction zone at the time of being flown. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

2 Likes

Is there a mod who can help with this please?

The location for the pin is showing in Croydon and I can’t see how to edit it :thinking:.

Tried recreating the entry and getting this error:

The remote server returned an error: (422) Unprocessable Entity.

If you can let us know the correct lat/lng co-ordinates please, we’ll get the marker pin moved for you.

1 Like

Hi @PingSpike,

Correct coordinates are: 51.450250, -0.269665

It’s a specific part inside the park.

1 Like

Marker pin updated - thanks @CaptainAdrona :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for you help @PingSpike! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi guys
Not been there in 30 years… Heading to the flying field at 7am for this work video. Anyone know where to park? Meeting a few people so trying to coordinate where to meet. Don’t want to spend an hour walking around shouting into a mobile phone “I’m near the big fallen tree…” :rofl:

In case anyone else is interested, Sheen Gate Car Park is the nearest and best place to go. Really nice place to practice. Get there early and you can grab some stunning views!

51.456648, -0.269393

4 Likes

Thought this might be useful for anyone planning to visit.
Had the place to myself for over an hour this morning until the Deer showed up and I had to stop flying

6 Likes

Useful addition, thanks @walkupit :+1:t2:

3 Likes
1 Like

That guy holding the plane looks a bit animated… was he having a go?

Sign says no VR headsets :frowning:

FPV Goggles aren’t a VR headset.

It’s probably there to prevent people from flying FPV without a spotter but we all have licences and OAs that tell us what the safety rules are about that. Maybe just call/email and explain what you intend to do and what the actual CAA rules are about that (ie. spotter)?

2 Likes

Sad story, he launched and destroyed his plane in less than 3 seconds!

We were flying in an area permitted for drone flights, with an spotter, CAA license, drones tagged with Operator ID and FPVUK insurance. I believe you shouldn’t have any problems!

First Person View
Unmanned aircraft that are fitted with video cameras often provide an opportunity to downlink ‘live’ video to the remote pilot either via a mobile phone, tablet computer or other screen, or even through video goggles - this capability provides the pilot with a pseudo ‘pilots eye view’ from the UAS itself and is generally given the term ‘First Person view’ (FPV).

The remote pilot must always keep the UAS within their unaided visual line of sight, but FPV may be used, when a spotter is assisting the remote pilot.

The law states:

“The remote pilot may be assisted by a UA observer helping them to keep the unmanned aircraft away from other aircraft and obstacles.

The UA observer must be situated alongside the remote pilot and observers must not use aided vision (e.g. binoculars).

UA observers may also be used when the remote pilot conducts UAS operations in first-person view (FPV), which is a method used to control the UA with the aid of a visual system connected to the camera of the UA. In all cases, the remote pilot is still responsible for the safety of the flight.”

UAS Implementing Regulation- UAS.OPEN.060

Note: Images captured by a camera and displayed on a flat screen afford the pilot little by way of depth perception and no peripheral vision. This can make it difficult for the pilot to accurately judge speed and distance and to maintain sufficient awareness of the area surrounding the aircraft to effectively ‘see and avoid’ obstacles and other aircraft - as a result, the use of FPV equipment is not an acceptable mitigation for Beyond Visual Line of Sight flight unless the relevant operator has received a specific authorisation to do so from the CAA.

Drones | Civil Aviation Authority

Are there any ever any organised meet-ups in this area? I just got my first drone today so I will be heading down there to practice using it. This looks like a great spot to get used to things and get the noob confidence built up.

I think 75% of the members in GADC can sympathise… Myself included… I only tried to fly a traditional rc helicopter :rofl:

From experience and input from other members, it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. 95% of the people you would connect with over the phone wouldn’t have a clue what you’re asking, let alone be able to understand the differences between VR & FPV.

Although I understand where you’re coming from, despite complying with all the CAA rules, I’d personally bet good money that the sign was intended to prevent both VR & FPV. When I’ve seen this enforced, it’s been on the grounds of noise, speed and likelihood of hitting something. However, we won’t know until someone updates the sign so crack on lads :rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t3:

Hey buddy

There’s a meet up in the Midlands this weekend near Corby

Much anticipated… I’m bringing my 9 year old son and we’ll kip in the Landy Saturday night. Loads going on and a chance to try fpv too!

1 Like