Salisbury Cathedral - Added to Places of Worship in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

TOAL from a back street off Scots Lane. Too tall to do a 'straight down' shot, as its over 400' high!

Salisbury Cathedral has been a place of worship, welcome, and hospitality for over 800 years. Its Spire (the tallest in the country and a feat of medieval engineering) rises to a breath-taking 404ft/123m, guiding travelers, merchants, and pilgrims to the historic city.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 18/12/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Did I inspire you? :rofl:

You did :clap: Though I doubt I’ll make the BBC News :wink:

Salisbury - tallest spire in the UK. :+1:

1 Like

Yes. I found out the hard way :confounded:

1 Like

404ft … got to be careful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the spire open to the public? Coventry’s used to be but health and safety shut it down… lol

Coventry Cathedral:

The Cathedral Ruins main spire contains 181 stone steps to climb. At 90m (295ft) it has the third highest cathedral spire in England, with only Salisbury and Norwich cathedrals rising higher.

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/visit/tower-tours

332 steps … nah, nah na nah nah! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:rofl: I’m planning a flight to try and fit all 3 of Coventry’s spires into one photo :ok_hand:t2:

Just to note - Salisbury Cathedral Close is private property and permission is required to fly a drone in the Close. One was reported to the police today for flying over the Cathedral School. The right to privacy and safeguarding are both big issues in this area with two schools and lots of residential properties - plus lots of tourists.

Key word there been IN.

No permission needed to fly over or around.

3 Likes

I have received your email, thanks. For expedience, I have copied it below.

2 Likes

did they email you personally then @clinkadink? as well as taking the time to join the forum and post the above? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, correct. I was out at the time, so responded when I got home. Then saw the same lady (MLT) had signed up to post the above comment moments before sending the email to me.

1 Like

intresting, maybe @MLT can take a look around the forum and actually appreciate some of the amazing photography captured by drones.

hopefully they can take some time to skim over this thread:

hopefully we can prove that drone use done correctly can produce some fantastic images and isn’t actually this terrible criminal activity that the media portray. Also hopefully change their overall views and opinions of drones and drone use. Maybe.

I doubt it, probably too busy on YouTube, where there is plenty of footage of the place

1 Like

Still worth a shot. I would sooner educate and try and change the views of someone who has issues with drone use rather than argue with them. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Agreed. Hopefully my email placates each of her concerns, as I have have clearly demonstrated that I was nowhere near the cathedral grounds, nesting birds or children for that matter.

Actually with a schedule 1 protected bird nesting on the Tower permission should be asked, particularly when we have fledglings.

The RSPB are on site so I will double check - and there a civil privacy laws to consider. Just been a case in the papers.

Don’t want to get combative but we do request permission and find ways to help. Small thing to ask - all the broadcasters and most professionals do because they work to a code on the privacy too.

M

1 Like

Do you ask all phone and SLR users the same.

Do you have a link ?

1 Like