Shoalstone Seawater Pool - Added to Coastal Scenery in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Shoalstone Pool is a 53 metre sea water swimming Pool situated in a stunning position on Brixham sea front: one of only a few left in the country. It is built into a natural rock pool that in Victorian times was popular for bathing, and in 1896 two walls were built to retain the tidal water that flooded in.

Thirty years later, in 1926, the Pool took on its current design and had a lot of rock removed to make it deeper and add a shallow end and deep end, with a gently sloping bottom. Shut throughout the winter the Pool was opened each season by a local lady, Minnie Bowman, who jumped off the diving board wrapped in a Union Flag.

Postcode is TQ5 9FT.

Hi ya, new to this forum but discovered it when I was looking at public rights of way! I know the CAA rules and I’m paraglider, pilot rated and BMFA model flying A certificate have studied air law, but I was flying within the CAA rules near Shoalstone today when some jobs worth (drone was in the air) asked me stop, said he’d call the police and said did I object to him taking my photograph. Yes I said. I know the CAA rules inside out. Are you licenced? he said. I said ‘I’m not doing this commercially, so don’t need a licence.’ I am more than 50M away from residential property etc etc.
He said I’m the caretaker of the pool and I’m just doing what I’ve been asked to do. ‘We are going to put up notices saying no drone flying’. This was low water, empty pool nobody there apart from jobs worth who was 100 m away from me when I took off. For starters the track by the side of the pool is a public right of way. It will need a Bye Law to ban drones. (The National Park at Berry Head have banned them. Or at least there’s sign saying no drone flying I’ve been told.)

Just a heads up, they don’t want drones flown there. I can understand that when it’s summer and full of people. And apparently some idiot crashed one there when there were a lot of people there. It only needs one idiot to spoil things for responsible UAV flyers!

2 Likes

Looks fantastic

Hi @bobflyman and welcome to Grey Arrows :smiley:

I know what you mean about the jobsworths, and they’re only going to get worse as more and more people get them and start annoying people with them :frowning:

Yup. Was just having the same conversation with a friend of mine who said the aftermath of Xmas will be interesting to see and no doubt a lot will be given as presents.

Yeah without a doubt… and I think that’s what worries more than anything, is the havoc people are going to wreak with them - and give us all a bad name :cry:

1 Like