Stonehenge - Added to Monuments in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

The guys that built Stonehenge picked a very bad site for drone flying.

The Larkhill danger area almost covers the monument itself and much of the land not under flight restriction or military air traffic zones is owned by the drone-unfriendly National Trust.

The take off / landing point I have marked is on a BOAT, specifically AMES12, Wiltshire County Council designated Byway Open To All Traffic. So you can legally drive either north or south of the A303 on the byway,

I chose the southerly part of the byway. 80 metres from the A303 there is room to both turn a car round and to park it to the side of the byway. The northern route would presumably be as easy but it brings you closer to what may be over-zealous security. The BOAT can be seen in the short video (taken for a Grey Arrows competition)

There is a very useful thread on Grey Arrows started by ianinlondon about flying around the Salisbury Plain monuments.

If you do go probably best to check the sunrise / sunset times and the times the monument is open. A golden hour flight without people in shot could be a nice experience!

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 09/08/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

I believe the track that runs perpendicular to stonehenge is also a public right of way. That’s where I took off from when I shot Stonehenge Sunrise
Was I wrong? Whoops.

The track to the east of the one I used is actually on the border of National Trust land and is also a Byway Open to All Traffic. Except when I checked there was a padlocked gate at the entrance!

Thank you for adding to the DroneScene map

I’ve flown here too @macspite :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @macspite :grin:

1 Like

I want to fly here @macspite, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?

All the details are in the description plus what3words and lat/long co-ordinates. Click the link below

Drone Scene

The TOAL is where you park or wherever you fancy really :slight_smile:

You can also add the markers retrospectively. :+1:

Indeed I can but they will just mark where the w3w and lat/long are. Seems redundant. Especially as there is already a marker on the spot in question.

Not really - because future people adding the location to their wish-list will trigger the same message every time. Once they are added the “but there are no parking or take off and landing markers” posts won’t happen.

@macspite I’ve just moved your location marker as it was quite some distance from Stonehenge:

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @macspite :slightly_smiling_face:

That was done back at the beginning of September 2020. We didn’t have parking or TOAL markers then. I have added them to the spot where my marker was.

No means of removing them?

May be I’m mis reading this, but looking at Drone Scene, it seems that there is an airspace restriction that covers the stones?

It’s limit is almost spot on the stones, so “legally” you can’t do a 360 around them.

But, flying to the south of them provides almost a full 180 of angles … and ideal for those long shadows of sunrise and sunset.