Valley of Rocks, Lynton - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

The Valley of Rocks is a dry valley that runs parallel to the coast in north Devon.

It is a popular tourist destination, noted for its landscape and geology.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 19/06/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

7 Likes

Thanks, I must try to visit this area.

Lovely part of the country & a great walk.
Your pix are pretty good too😀

I’ve flown here too @SkyJumper :grin:

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me, I currently live in Florida but am coming over to England, and specifically Devon for a few days in the summer, my 17 year old son really wants to bring his drone and fly it at the valley of the rocks in Devon. We understand he needs an operator ID and a flyer ID, but I cannot find anything that definitely says if he can fly his drone there. I have seen videos of people flying along the coast over the oceans

Can anyone help me with this or point me to where I can get permission for him to fly.

Hi @Lendove and welcome to GADC.
Just had a look on our very own Dronescene website and can not see any reason why your son can’t have a flight.

What drone is he planning on bringing over? That could make a difference depending on its weight

Here a video one of our members has taken of the location …

@Lendove
Hi I have flown from this site as listed at the top of this thread, where I took off and landed is marked on the ‘dronescene’ map, it is surrounded by areas of Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) to do with country side and wildlife. There is a small car park next to the Cream Teas place and some seating next to it which is where I took off and landed.

You are correct about the operator ID and flyer ID,if your son is under 18 you will have to get the operator ID and your son, and yourself if you want to fly,will need to do the basic test to get your flyer IDs. The Operator ID is currently £10.33, flyer IDs are free. you can do all of that at https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual/register-and-take-test-to-fly

There is an app called Drone Assist which has all the ares where flight is restricted shown in different colours, another useful app is UAV Forecast for weather conditions etc.

I hope you have a great trip here in the UK.