Willington Power Station - Added to Everything Else in East Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Accessibility: There is space to park in front of the abandoned power station, or in the town nearby.

Hazards: The site is on the edge of the Derby Flight Restriction Zone. There is space to fly without entering the FRZ, or permission could be obtained. The other main hazard is proximity to road traffic, depending on selected take-off-and-landing site.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 01/01/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

9 Likes

Thanks for all the additional details @kvetner :smiley:

1 Like

Considering how many GADC members have flown there I’m surprised it wasn’t already on there. :grin:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Anywhere to park?

5 Likes

Thanks mate :+1:

I’ve flown here too @kvetner :grin:

2 Likes

Only two members have flown here apparently :scream:

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’m in the back corner if you make it :+1:t3:

1 Like

Just flew my DJI Mini 2 here very briefly (5 mins), parking in the layby. Warning on app to stay under 150m as it’s near a restricted area, which I did.

Oddly on the DroneScene map though this currently shows the layby as ‘Flight Restriction Zone - Flying without permission is illegal and unsafe and may lead to prosecution’.

Any idea what’s with the discrepancy between maps? One says fine, another says not

The Drone Scene FRZ layer is the accurate / legal one.

The DJI layer needs to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Try a few searches here, the DJI GEO zones / map discrepancies have been discussed numerous times over the years :slight_smile:

1 Like

This layby?

Just outside the Derby FRZ on Drone Scene. :+1:

1 Like

And in terms of flying here, to be legal, just don’t fly from the main lay-by at the site entrance. Most flights here are from inside the fence, east of the towers.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve flown here too @kvetner :grin: Visited the closed Willington Power Station cooling towers today. Passed these a few times on the way to my daughters house in Hilton.

Thought I’d might as well add my name to the growing list of members wanting to get a piece of them before they disappear forever!

Just to add to @kvetner 's Drone Scene entry, I contacted the Derby Airfield, as I would have to fly in the FRZ to get one of the photo angles I wanted, and they were, as usual, really helpful. Turns out the part of the FRZ that extends out from the runway isn’t used as far out as Willington Power Station so the guy just said have fun and watch out for helicopters! The warning on my RC for East Midlands Airport was just a Dji NFZ and the Class D airspace is nowhere near to where I was!

3 Likes