1st crash....indoors

HI All

I’ve been told it would happen at somepoint and it did yesterday with me wanting to take pics of the Xmas tree from above.

Seemed to have got away with it though bar some paint on blades and the topside of the battery area on my M2P.

I was in Tripod mode so it was moving slowly and very predictably, however on manoeuvring backward to tweak the shot, it suddenly carried the kind of speed you’d find in Positioning mode. Suffice to say being only 3 metres away from the wall, it caught me out and thus causing it fall with all 4 blades spinning away against the wall.

On switching it off via controller sticks bottom left and right. (I tried flipping it upside down with no luck) I powered it on again to see what its status was, it took off fine but it was moving with pace despite the switch being set to Tripod mode. Could see ‘Positioning’ on the screen, top of the app, so I tapped it and chose ‘Tripod mode’. This did the trick.

Im guessing therefore that upon startup it defaults to Positioning mode despite the button setting?!

Strange though why it seemed to resort to Positioning mode (or at least positioning like speed) whilst being in Tripod mode.

I wont be doing that again. :scream:

Sooooo, im g

LOL,took off indoors with my old mavic platinum,went straight into the kitchen cupboards fell on the worktop upside down,i can tell you i was not popular,as food was being prepared !!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

My old Mavic did the same last year, shot off backwards like a scolded cat, almost decapitated my nieces, managed to push them to safety & grab it before it hit them but in doing so caught my fingers in those spinning blades…I’m lucky to have any fingers left. The kitchen was sprayed with blood, it looked like a crime scene.
You can imagine the ashen stares from the family as they stood transfixed, blood sprayed liberally across their faces, kitchen walls, units, even the dog.
Ruined Boxing Day.
Thought I’d need stitches to sew the skin back on my fingers but used plenty of bandages and electrical tape to bind it all together. Hurt like hell, but it was a lesson to respect those spinning blades and never ever fly indoors.
I proudly have a plonker badge to complete the humiliation.
Still, on the bright side, it’s one Boxing Day get together that they never forget, and has already gone down in family folk lore as ‘ The day Uncle Brian nearly decapitated Holly and Grace, with his drone in the kitchen’

3 Likes

I crashed my mavic Platinum indoors too…flying inside at the airport :blush:… Was going down a hall way and the air disturbance got the best of me … survived just fine but learned my lesson…

2 Likes

1st crash….indoors <<< Sounds like you’re planning more? :wink:

I’ve read that the problem with flying the Mavic indoors is intermittent/inaccurate GPS signal/location.

Unfortunately, unlike some(/all?) Phantom models, you cannot switch to ATTI mode to ignore the GPS.

As a result, with zero stick input, it tries to hover in position until it gets an inaccurate GPS position that makes it think it’s moved … and then it tries to return to where it now thinks it was.

2 Likes

The story about offering an efficient whisking service didnt get you off the hook then! hahahaha

1 Like

Yikes man. Sounds like a Final Destination scene!!! :rofl:

There is a lesson here to be learned isnt there!!? lol

1 Like

Now thats a thing…dont be flying near to an airport or within the legal boundaries of an airport but theres no mention of flying inside at the airport :joy: !!

Im realising that ‘inside’ is a big NO NO! :wink:

1 Like

Definitely not. :grin:reading above and adding my recent experience to that list its deffo a no fly zone!

Aaaah then that explains quite clearly why it was moving around a bit inside. It had crossed my mind tbh but I thought (i knew best) ‘all’ of my meagre 6 hours flight time was enough to know what I was doing. How wrong was I!
#keepitoutside

2 Likes

Unless you have permission, of course. :+1:

1 Like

Hashtag# Keep it outside ! love it, bravo, and also very true :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Erm,# banned, Drones banned from the kitchen,or else there going in the bin lol.:open_mouth::open_mouth:

1 Like

I’ve never seen so many candidates for the Plonker badge in a single thread… :thinking:

Keep the stories coming people :rofl:

3 Likes

I was in our maintenance office… In the belly of the airport… But yeah still a no… I am working to get approved to fly here though. Inspect crowns if airplane with drone!! Our lightning strike inspections could benefit from my drone. :grin:

3 Likes

First day I had my MA, by the time I updated the firmware it was about 9pm but I was desperate to give it a try. The one and only time it has been in ATTI mode so I thought I’d at least get it off the ground in the kitchen, it hovered at around 3ft and with the slightest touch of the stick it flew at the dishwasher, fortunately I had the prop guards on.

Sometimes you just gotta! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Can see the Mrs applying to the CAA for a special no Fly Zone. Betcha our house will be Geo ring fenced before long! hehehe

3 Likes

HAHAHAHA Cleanest drone in the county! Almost

I totally agree, sometimes you really have just gotta :joy::+1:

2 Likes

Will end up needing a special plonkers fly 'ere section to this forum before long hee hee

3 Likes

I’ve said it before…

You can sit on the remote of a DJI remote, wiggle you ass and probably get some good footage.

If you only fly a DJI drones in GPS or sensor modes, don’t be fooled into thinking you can actually fly a quad… It’s flying it’s flying itself. Things are very different when you have to compensate for the quads motion and drift, not to mention turbulence in your home!

1 Like

Even with the fact that these things are equipped with oodles of sensors and self correcting systems, theres still the initial newbie learning curve. Lawd knows what it’d be like without them.

Very very different for sure!

Long way to go have I!