5 in 5 January Challenge - Discussion Thread

Starting January 1st there will be a new challenge open for the month. This is a heads-up to give you members a chance to think about it, and to read the rules (Some of which might change)

Make 5 pictures of your surrounding area.
All must be within 5 miles of where you live.
At least one must be from a drone.
ALL drone pics must be from at least 100ft agl.
All other photography methods accepted.
No video
No 360 panos
No tiny planets
Editing is confined to colour correction, exposure and cropping.
No adding or removing of objects
If you live in a FRZ? Get permission
If you live just outside a FRZ? Get permission
All flights must be carried out in accordance with the CAA Drone Code
Please post all 5 or your photos in the one post, we want to get a feel for your area. That’s difficult if they’re scattered all over the place. Single posts will be removed.
Only one entry per member.

And the last request, but not a requirement of entry. Please try to provide a simple map with your location and 10 mile circle highlighted with you in the middle. We don’t need your exact home point down to house level, be sensible, within 500 yards should be fine. But please mark where your 5 photos were taken and with what camera/drone/phone etc.

5 Likes

Meaning a 5 mile radius of me as a member correct, call me stupid it’s fine, I’ve probably been called worse,
I take it the other photos can be taken with a phone ? Or we can do all 5 with our drone if we want ……. Thanks

2 Likes

Great idea. Count me in :clap:

I will need to work it around my annual speed runs though :thinking:

1 Like

Yes within 5 miles of you as a member.
Your photos can be in any format you like, pinhole, medium format, glass plate, 35mm slide, whatever floats your boat. All five can be drone if you wish,
BUT ONE MUST BE FROM A DRONE. And the drone shot MUST be from height (at least one hundred feet please)

2 Likes

Perfect, locations brain stored already :wink:

Truth be told it came about from The Birthday Challenge. Not everyone, for various issues and reasons, can be so mobile and get about all over the country. This is designed to get everyone out and about, wherever you live. Unless of course you live slap bang in a FRZ :rofl:
Don’t worry, we are working out contingencies for that too :roll_eyes:

Superb idea!

Just one question and I’m pretty sure I know the answer… shots must also all be taken in January, right? :slight_smile:

Yes mate, all shots must be taken in January. Will add that to the rules, thanks :blush:

One last thing, should we enter the postcodes of our subjects location, then at least maybe you could cross reference to know we are abiding by the 5 mile radius rule to our members pin.

2 Likes

We will of course carry out spot checks, but this is meant as a fun comp with no prizes. So no, we are going to rely on the honesty and integrity of the membership. We are not big enough to police every picture. But if you are found to have breached the rules? We may have to send Tafo round to do some damage, we have plenty of pitch and chicken feathers here, just waiting for the first one to step out of line :wink:

1 Like

You have been warned :warning:

3 Likes

A reason to break the rules :smiley:, count me out tho !

If anyone is in need of a tool for drawing a 5 mile radius from your house, I’ve found the below site to be pretty helpful.

2 Likes

At this point he realises his map pointer isn’t all that accurate :joy:

Mind you not back in the UK until the last week of January, so will need good weather then.

But great idea.

FRZ. Should that be 5 miles outside the FRZ? If it was a 5 mile diameter, 2.5 would be logical but 2.5 mile means still a large chunk of the 5 mile radius in the FRZ.

IF it should be 5 miles, another issue. I have an FRZ a few miles from me, @stevesb is in the FRZ. If Steve can change the pin to 5 miles outside the FRZ, that gives Steve more opportunity than I have living outside it.

Jeez this is getting serious!

:rofl: Aren’t they all? Great idea for the competition and I have a few ideas already. One includes steam and any way I can stretch my boundary will give me a better choice of location :rofl:

You’re ok Andy i won’t be taking part. :rofl:

Wasn’t aimed at you but you were a perfect example of a scenario :+1:

We are having a look into this and discussions are ongoing behind the scenes.

1 Like