A Mavic Mini and GoPro Perspective Video

Well, looking at the weather forecast for this weekend it may be something of a challenge for me to go flying. So instead here’s a short video from last weekend. I was having a first shot at mixing Mavic Mini and GoPro perspectives from a couple of flights in the same session.

Oh, and as there were some discussions about whether or not to include captions and titles to videos, this one’s entirely naked :blush:

3 Likes

@B0M0A0K I’m off dusting down the gopro. I do like this mix … a lot!!!

I had to describe it as going into “Plonker Mode” because I was wearing the GoPro head mount strap. Ugh! A word of advice if you do this. Make sure you have installed the GoPro app on your phone so you can see what the GoPro sees. I wasted a bunch of video because I wasn’t quite looking in the right direction to catch the drone with the GoPro.

Either way, it was good experience for using DaVinci Resolve and trying to get the best out of the raw footage. I like this as well and will do it again next time I get a chance to fly (weather does not support that this weekend it seems). A buddy of mine also pointed out that you can fix the GoPro “fisheye” in the GoPro app before you transfer it off your device.

@B0M0A0K
There’s another way to fix your gopro fisheye before you use it. Set video to 1080 and if I remember rightly, set it to “Normal”. But then it’s only 1080.
If there’s another way, please let me know as I’d like to video with a higher resolution

I’m not sure. but I have started chopping my videos and placing them in separate tracks. This let’s me apply effects, colours and corrections to specific bits. I am looking at whether these specific tracks can have correction applied in post.

I hope you can change it, however, I know that’s notoriously difficult to get rid of fisheye. If you look in my YT channel, you’ll see that I haven’t got any fisheye. All filmed with my gopro. For example…

1 Like

Which GoPro are you using? Mine’s an old Hero 3 Silver. Maybe they have improves how the GoPro deals with that issue in the ensuing versions?

On the flip side, I have had others comment that they kinda like the fisheye effect just so long as they don’t see it all the time.

Mine’s the old gp3+ black edition.
Wouldn’t swap it for any of the new ones.
I’m not sure, but, I think you could possibly get rid of fisheye by “transforming” it in your editor. I use Openshot and reall git used to it as its very user friendly.

Well, that’s what I like about DaVinci Resolve. Looked for a video, found that it’s built into the program and easy to apply.

Before “Analyze”

After “Analyze”

Here’s what it looks like in the test video.