A2 CofC on Linux box?

Looks as if online exams, of the kind, say, UAVHub advertise, require Windoze 7 or later or a Mac OS. I have XP, to run old drone software, and Linux Mint for everything else, and I am damned if I pay Microsucks or Apple to change this if I can possibly help it. Has anyone done ANY A2 CofC online exam on a Linux box? Details very welcome.

Apple OS is free

Can you not use a tablet or phone?

TY for your help. Didn’t know that about Apple OS, but happy with Linux, so don’t want to buy a new box to put it on!. Can I do it on a tablet? The (several) sites I’ve looked at give no clue as to what is needed , presumably until you’ve paid for their course and it’s too late. I’m extremely ignorant about videoconferencing in general - how would I need to prepare a Samsung Tab 4 (it’s old - will it even work?) to talk to UAVHub?

Lots of help on the A2 CofC thread

Email @MrMPW perhaps ?

OK, I give in. I’ll email the damn companies individually and see if they can offer any sense.
TY.

Yes, I did find that. That’s why I asked if I could use a tab. Maybe some other company lets you?.
Looking as if I’ll have to buy a box running Win 7 off ebay. Or do a non-online course, which might even be cheaper.

Would a temporary virtual machine do the job?

1 Like

Any friends running Windoze with a webcam or any with a laptop you can borrow?

The examiner needs you to login to their software and use a webcam to show that your room is free from advisors, cheat sheets or anyrhing similar. You can move the webcam or pick up a laptop to give them a 360 tour.

They then want the channel kept open so that they can hear or see if you are receiving assistance.

Any reason you ned the A2 CofC, have you looked at OA 16 to see if that suits your intended use?

1 Like

Have you tried Wine? https://www.winehq.org/

1 Like

I did my A2 CofC with Coptrz in March. By default they do require Windows, but as a religious Linux user, I told them I won’t touch that thing ;), so they were able to accommodate my request, and did a screenshare session (don’t remember whether it was Zoom or Google Meet…).

I have OA16 via FPVUK, but am considering commercial work, and OA16 doesn’t cover that.

Thanks endrec - I am also Saved (praise Gnome) and that’s helpful. Infratec use Zoom for sure… I’ll have a look at Coptrz too.

Others: I have so far resisted using a VM, and have usually found a workround to date, thanks to the infinitely configurable nature of Linux. But thanks for the suggestions.

Cheaper to buy a Mini 2 ;o) fly anywhere (almost)

You are a director of DJI and I claim my 5000 RMB… :slight_smile:

Enough change for an extra battery ;o)

Make that infinity minus 1. :wink:

2 Likes