A2 CofC separation distances

If I hold a a2 cofc and a mavic 3 (not mini) am I correct in thinking my separation distance is then 5m? (bit no over flying people at all)

Thanks

1 Like

Enter your parameters into Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Good 2 Go - Can I fly my drone here? , and all will be revealed. :+1:

2 Likes

No, it’s 50m and no over flying over uninvolved people.

As per CAP 722 (Eighth Edition, 5 November 2020) - 2.2.1.2 Open category subcategories the following subsection:

A2 (Fly ‘close to’ people) – Operations in subcategory A2 can only be
conducted with some very particular types of unmanned aircraft. These types
must be compliant with a particular product safety standard which allows use in
the A2 subcategory (see 2.3.1.3 below), although a transition period also permits
the restricted use of some other types (see Note). Flights can be conducted to a
minimum safe horizontal distance of 30 metres from uninvolved persons, and this
can be further reduced to 5 metres horizontally when the system’s ‘low-speed
mode’ is selected. In addition, the remote pilot must have successfully
completed an additional competency examination (the A2 CofC as described in
4.2.3.1.2) in order to operate in this subcategory.

Hope this helps.

Beat me to it, from UAVHUB Aide Memoire for A2 Cof C

“A2 (Fly ‘close to’ people) – Operations in subcategory A2 can only be conducted with an unmanned aircraft that is compliant with a specific product standard (and a maximum mass of less than 4kg), but this unmanned aircraft can be flown to a minimum safe horizontal distance of 30 metres from uninvolved people, or down to 5 metres horizontally when its ‘low speed mode’ is selected. In addition, the remote pilot must have successfully completed an A2 CofC examination in order to operate in this subcategory”

Will the new “Cine” modes count as low speed i wonder.
The initial CE specs for what was defined as slow speed mode would be met by the old tripod modes but not the Cine mode.

Looking through the various CAPs and regs i cant actually see specific speeds mentioned in the CAA regs in which case Cine would be fine. EASA is/was <3msec

No

For C marked drones, of which the UK has none

1 Like

In which case what definition does the CAA use for low speed mode…
I can see no actual figures or definitions of what it is in 722 or any other CAP.

1 Like

As we currently have no C-marked drones approved in the UK, the quotes above are irrelevant. The Mavic 3 weighing just under 900g falls into A2 Transitional - no closer than 50m. The transitional period has been extended.

3 Likes

PS Unless you want to fly commercially or in built-up areas you are better off joining FPV UK (£19 pa) and flying under Article 16. Then you can take off 30m from uninvolved people and overfly them, above 30m. There are some other caveats abut autonomous modes.

2 Likes

I also have cap 16 yes sorry, so I can overly with a mavic 3 as long as I’m 30m above?

This explains it , 2020 but still relevant while we sit in ‘transition’ your A2 C of C training provider should be able to clarify

That was when class marks were still a thing. The CAP still mentions a low speed mode but as far as i can see, doesn’t actually definite what it is anywhere at all.

Which CAP?

No mention that i can see in 722 not the implementing cap.

OK so in 1789 (December 2022)

They state all the following conditions must apply (including mentioning low speed mode)

Thats what i mean - low speed mode is mentions but so far as i can tell isn’t defined anywhere at all in the UK implementation of the regs.

It IS defined in EASA but those don’t apply.

1 Like

Well it matters not as he does not comply with section (3) above.

I hold a A2 CofC and my understanding is that there are currently no C2 classified drones on the market. A C2 classified drone will have a slow speed mode of 3m/s (6.7 mph) which allows them within 5m of people. In fact I got rid of my Mavic 2 because of the legacy rule that was supposed to be ending on 1st Jan 23. Unless the CAA have extended the legacy period my understanding is that you can only fly in the A3 category. It seems to me that drone manufacturers are reluctant to catch up with the rules.

1 Like

Unless you fly under article 16 per FPVUK?