A2CofC practical flying requirements

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered. I’m considering taking my A2CofC, however, my drone (Ehang Ghostdrone) is controlled via an app - no transmitter). Does anyone know if you are able to clock flying hours using an app controlled drone? Thanks

If it helps. I recently completed my A2CoC using an Anafi. The organisation I took my instruction from required me to submit (scanned by email) a paper log (their format) of my flying hours, including maintenance, battery charging etc. So maybe the drone onboard log not needed as long as you keep a log?

1 Like

There should be no requirement to clock any hours (depending on who you choose as your provider)

1 Like

UAVHUB does not require you to actually fly :smiley:

2 Likes

Neither do UAV8 and its only £48 (GADC discount also available)

Thanks for the speedy reply. Just so I’m clear, I’ve probably flown this drone in excess of 5hrs pre the new drone code. Can I use these hours towards the A2CofC or will I have to start with a blank canvas?

1 Like

Page 32 CAP 722B (E2)
“The A2 CofC is a theoretical examination only but is predicated on a ‘building block’
process of training and testing which is listed in the following paragraph. There are no
practical flight test requirements for the A2 CofC.
Prior to taking the examination, the remote pilot is required to have completed the
following ‘building blocks’:
• Successful completion of the CAA’s ‘Drone and Model Aircraft’ online training
course for basic remote pilot competency and the associated competency test, and
be in possession of the ‘Flyer ID’ number associated with that test;
• Completion of a period of practical flight training, either under the guidance of an
RAE or under ‘self-monitored’ circumstances, conducted within the operating
conditions of subcategory A3 but simulating the operating situations associated with
the A2 subcategory.CAP 722B Annex A | The ‘A2 Certificate of Competency’ (A2 CofC)
December 2019 Page 33
• Remote pilots must declare, in writing, that they have completed the above building
blocks to the RAE.”

You shouldn’t have to prove you’ve done any practical, just sign a declaration that you have.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and heads-up! Just signed up to the UAVHub free course.

Thanks for this comprehensive response. I’ve been researching this aspect of the A2CofC for while and found the practical flying requirements quite ambiguous. This has really helped to clear things up :+1:

No problem mate, with UAVHUB, you just sign a declaration and email it to them before you take the course.
Enjoy your flying!

John

1 Like

Much depends on the organisation you do your training with. The organisation I used, COPTRZ, would allow use of any flying hours that fell within 90 days of starting the training course. I used these people as they were only £58 for the whole course, including the exam. Be aware that the exam is moderated by a USA organisation and they have a very strict criteria for the actual exam. i.e. Room inspection on camera to ensure you are a lone operator etc.

1 Like

I’m thinking of doing the A2 CoC but am confused by the information I have found on Google. Do I need to do some practical flying in addition to the theory? I watched Ian In London video on YouTube but it doesn’t mention it. I have flown a little but want to know, if there is a flying element, how many hours do I need to have done before taking the theory exam.

best thing would contact an organisation, but i am thinking of doing this aswell, i do know you need a webcam when you do the final test, which you have to be able to move around the room at first, and has to be on a pc apple or chrome, I have not read if there is a set time you have had to have flown, so you do not have to do the flying element.

Scroll up 5 posts, you’ll find the info there

1 Like

Thank you

Morning thought ok to put on the end of this thread,
I have been practicing my a2cofc, I am at the point where I have gone as far as I can go & now to go further it’s asking for payment ( which is fine ) just wanted to ask something first if ok, so yes I’ve got that far having done the quiz & watched videos & scoring a 100% on the quiz which I found is just good common sense, so my question is as that seemed fairly easy, am I right in thinking it gets harder the further I go & or what should I be next preparing for moving through / onwards, thanks in advance

( is / was that the easy bit out the way ) :thinking:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s harder Rich, just more in depth in places, but again common sense prevails.

Buy me 60 tickets for the next comp and i will edit my cert with your name on :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Did you pass first time mick & what was your score if you don’t mind me asking :smiley:

Yeah past first time Rich, Did mine with UAVHUB, scored 98% i think and the one i got wrong was one i knew lmao.

I just kept doing the mock tests until i thought fuck it lets do this, so if i can pass anybody can :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice, yes due to serious bring fog these days & being more ever forgetful, I’d like to proceed & practice & strike while the irons hot as I know if I leave a to longer gap I’ll forget :grimacing:
So best to get on with it while it’s still fresh in the head so to speak, also I like a challenge especially if you achieve your goal !
Last time I done any kind of online test was one I’d rather have not, when I was coming back from wales doing the Atti run in the van & got flashed by the average speed limit :person_facepalming:t2: so had to do the speed awareness course, now I get flashed for driving like miss daisy :joy:

1 Like