Absolute beginner, absolute budget

Hi tuggers1975 can I just say I wanted a cheap drone when I started and bought a hubsan still ended up over a £100 it was ok but I soon wanted better. I got advice from some great people on here and got a second hand mavic pro.
It was more money than I would of spent but the quality so much better.
My hubsan i sold and it flew off on that person.
In my opinion you would be better saving and getting a mavic mini 2 or argos card split payments.
Honestly its more money but better outcome in long run.

Either way you’re in the right place for good advice here. You’ll get sorted :+1:

Looking at the price you said
Seen this not sure what everyone’s opinion is on this. I haven’t had one.

Ignore this is crap :grin::rofl:

The reason I have the Mavic Air 2 is because I bought this ^^^ drone. I was a load of rubbish. Fortunately Amazon returns made it easy to return 3 days after receiving it. Don’t waste your time. Honestly.

1 Like

Fair. Glad you said. I think like you said dji I went to after hubsan. Save more get better drone

I started with a JJRC X5, but grew out of it after about a week. The range was lamentable, the camera was dire and it had a mind of its own. I then bought a Hubsan Zino Pro, which was in a different league to the JJRC - better camera, better range and a much better experience as a remote pilot. However, the Mavic Air 2 was getting such good reviews that I hankered after one for a while, before succumbing to temptation and investing late last year. The Hubsan was sold and I’ve since acquired a Mini 2. If I’m honest, I probably should have gone for a Mavic Mini in the first place, as the DJI drones are in a different league from the others, so after all this, my advice would be to try to get something decent in the first place. It will save you time and frustration trying to fly something that is frankly little more than an unresponsive toy.

2 Likes

Take a look at CEX as they do second hand but many come with 2 year warranty or even Facebook marketplace,

The Tello is capable of RTH, plus object tracking and follow me mode.

It’s all done in software on the phone or tablet using two third party APPs, TelloFPV and TelloFollow on Android. Both very stable APPS by the same author. They are “Pay to Play” but quite cheap considering the features they provide.

1 Like

I’ve purchased some reasonable drones off eBay for between £100 and £150.

Eg. Two Blade Chroma’s. One with a 3Axis Gopro gimbal and the other had the 4K CG03plus camera. £120 for the pair.

Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K complete. £130.

DJI Phantom2 with Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and GoPro Hero3 Silver, FPV monitor and TX. All in an aluminium flight case. £50.

Most recently a 3DR Solo, New in the box (manufacturers seals still intact) for £80.

What I would say to @tuggers1975 is if you see something you fancy you can always question the forum as to whether it’s a :+1: or :-1:. With it being such a diverse forum there is a wealth of experience to call on when in need.

I know the feeling! I once took my inspire in its peli case to the top of Holcombe Hill. it was one hell of a climb :see_no_evil::man_facepalming:.

You can pick up a basic drone that you can learn the basics on, take pictures with and get away with crashing a few times for between £25-£50.

I learnt with a cheap Chinese Syma X5.
I learn how to fly without gps and computers doing lots for me and if I’m honest it’s stood me in good stead.
I crashed a few times, repaired, rebuilt, modded and improved range, batteries,camera and then upgraded when money allowed.

I’ve had drones from Syma,Cheerson,hubsan, various Chinese knock offs, parrot and DJI and can’t say I’ve regretted buying any of them.

DJI are some of the best but I’ve had just as much fun with the ones at £25.
It doesn’t have to be £100’s to enjoy flying

2 Likes

Yes, but not natively as I understand, but instead by using a 3rd party app. Is this correct, or have I misread the spec?

No you are correct. But even though the App is a couple of quid it really does transform the performance of the Tello. The handling of the video signal is light years ahead of the official App. The same guy has authored an App for the Mavic Air2 which provides waypoints and cable cam features.

1 Like

My first proper drone was a Mavic Mini 1 the camera is great, but I think to get nice photos you may be restricted by the £100 budget. Be wary of drones that say 4K that does not usually reflect a 4K video but in reality is a 4k photo which I think is about 8 mega pixels. Also be aware that the drone must be under 250g or you will have lots of legal restrictions compared to sub 250g drones even if you take a £100 test! Finally if you are into photography then some of the cheaper drones do not have gimbals and battery life is only about 5 to 10 minutes. Its worth saving for a used Mini 1. There are probably some other options than DJI but I love flying my Mini 1 check out my channel on youtube to see what it can do. Hope you choose wisely, I am having the same dilemma with choosing a FPV drone :laughing:

1 Like

I’m just going to echo what most others are saying. If you really like photography, you will be disappointed with any non-gimballed drone sub £100. For that budget you could pick up an unloved Phantom but it’s a monster to walk about with compared to the Mavic series stuff. I bought an eachine thing off internet as a garden drone during first lockdown and it is nothing more than a 15 minute garden zip about. The camera is crap and is only usable for looking fpv through your phone.
If budget is that tight, don’t buy cheap just to have a drone. As it will be under the bed and forgot about after the disappointing first few flights, then you are £100 down from getting something better. Probably not the advice you were hoping for. Save up for the Mini 2 or secondhand Mini 1. Good luck.

Can i suggest that you check out MPB Photographic (MPB.com) they have second hand Mavic Mini for £294 or the flymore combo for £334. All look perfect and they’ll tell you how many times the batteries have been recharged etc. Might be a bit more than your budget initially, but it’ll be worth it in the long run

This is a good price. Well worth saving up for a bit longer to get something better than buying any old tat for £100 that you’ll get frustrated with in a month.

1 Like

As others say, I bought a sub £200 Holystone. Flew it, returned it, bought a Mini 2. Yes, much more but so is the pleasure. If you buy cheap buy from Amazon so you can return it!!