Acton Burnell Castle 2021 by Drone

Hi guys, hope everyone is well, havnt posted much lately but took a trip to Actone Burnell Castle a couple of weeks back. Hope you enjoy it.

Its a beautiful place.

4 Likes

Appologies for the Date error on the credits.

Edit
Fixed it

Thanks for posting, great video and lovely music, really enjoyed watching.

Can I ask what time of day you took the video? I have a Mavic Pro too and finding places like this to fly with the Pro seems to be getting more difficult although Dronescene is very helpful for keeping on the right side of the law. Any tips on getting great shots like this would be most welcome, e.g. time of day, getting permissions, etc - thanks.

1 Like

Enjoyed watching that, music works well too, very relaxing :+1:

1 Like

Hiya welshmavic, thanks for your comment.

We usually aim for early mornings in the summer months. Heritage and Trust sites dont like us very much but at weekends they usually dont start till 9 or 10AM and we are usually long gone by then. Im not advocating breaking any rules but try to stick to the code and dont take off from their land and you will be fine.

Winter can be a bit harder where the light is concerned but then a lot of Heritage and Trust site close in the winter so your on a winner there too.

Permissions are a different matter, I usually only bother if filming somewhere that is maybe occupied. Active churches are always worth asking though as quite often the church would be happy to have you and would love to see your footage.

As for the drone, i ALWAYS shoot with an ND filter on and i rarely go lower than ND8 even in poor light. Others will disagree with me but i find that they give you a better colour depth and make for a more apealing image.

As for shots, im quite brave with my drone and how close i fly to things. I admit i have been guilty of breaking the odd rule here and there regards distances and clearances etc but thats not something i recommend.

There are alot of amazing people here in the GA forums so dont worry about asking open questions. That saidd you can always feel free to contact me via PM if you wish.

Keep safe, Fly safe.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks very much for all the tips, very useful indeed. I’ve found the Grey Arrows forum a valuable resource. I’m always been a bit anxious to make sure I’m not breaking any rules and hence don’t fly my Mavic as much as I would like to. Generally, I’m looking for an open field in the middle of the countryside where no one is around but would really like to get some shots like yours.

Do you ever get people coming up to you and asking about the drone whilst flying? I am looking to take my A2CofC which I am hoping would give me a little more confidence regarding locations and being challenged by the general public. Maybe I am over-thinking it a bit :slight_smile:

Best,

Adrian

People often approach as they are curious about drones. I will also often call ‘Morning’ to any walkers or dog walkers etc, they then might come over as i have innitiated it. We are the only people who can tell the truth about drones so if i can enlighten just 1 person now and again, they will then go and spread the word that we are not bad people and drones are not something to fear.

Deffinately do your A2, i did mine and it has put me even more at ease than i already was. Even if you have no plans of commercial flight i still recomend it. I used UAV HUB and strongly recomend.

If you are in wales like your name suggests, i am very jealous, there are soooo many places i want to come and film in wales but its a long way from me in Nuneaton. most of the sites i want to visit are a 3 hour drive from here.

Jay

And even if you have it’s not essential for commercial flight.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response, yes that is a good idea to initiate the conversation and then educate people who think drones are a nuisance.

I am indeed in Wales just outside Llandovery and there is some lovely countryside around here as well as some great buildings and ruins just waiting to be photographed/video’d.

I’ll crack on and get my A2CofC and thank you for the recommendation of UAV HUB.

Best,

Adrian

Beautiful, what transitions did you use

It’s called flyeye or something like that.