Advice from the north western contingent

Good evening to my north/ north westerners. Tomorrow (02/02/202) I will be driving from Liverpool to Carlisle and back could anyone recommend a stop for a flight along that route (weather dependent!)

I am heading to the castle in Carlisle and I will be asking for permission to over fly it.

A grip to lakes isn’t completely off the cards but if sooner stick as close to a direct route as possible.

1 Like

Have you had a look on Drone Scene?

Maybe someone has added a location to the map that might fit in with your travel plans…

Ned

2 Likes

Penrith Is a nice town, J40, its also not far from Ullswater if you do want a lakes shot (j40 left on A66 to first roundabout left again on A592) the steamers would usually run from pooley bridge on the north tip of ullswater (but of course i dont think they are running now) . J36 would take you up to oxenholme and kendal, carry on up A6 and rejoin the m6 at Shap, though to be honest its quite a trek that.

still quite new to droning and living in cumbria by the time im that far up I just wanna get home, so not stopped off and done those myself just know they are nice looking places that are not far out of your way. I often stop at tebay to charge the car but there isnt much there to see.

1 Like

Just thought one i do want to do myself is Brougham Castle, J40, Right on A66, but not sure at all on permissions.

Thanks Ned, just had a look at it has turned up a possible corker ! I think if the weather is ok I will check this out.

From the forecast I have checked there is a 90% chance of snow :snowflake:

Thanks, I will have a look at them I am effectively in works time however my drone time will be “ My lunch break” hence not want to deviate too far from my route.

1 Like

Ah great!

Good that you’ve found something!

Ned

1 Like

Hi @TonyDM. This is one of mine, mate. Taken last year and is a fantastic place to fly. You could also check out Lowgill viaduct, south of Tebay just off the M6. Carlisle Castle would be a great place to fly if you can get the permission. I would TOAL in Bitts Park adjacent to the Castle. I just live on the outskirts of the city and this is on my to do list. Good luck, mate. Drop a post to tell us how you get on.

1 Like

@TonyDM you may even be able to get some footage of a deserted Centre parc in penrith a very rare event. Lol

1 Like

We actually have staff who work for us based at the castle full time, I will have access and will be parking in the castle itself. Assuming noone from English Heritage is on site I should get a cheeky flight in.

1 Like

I did think about that at our local pontins until 1000 troops descend upon it and then said flight would be deemed a security breach!

1 Like

Even better. Hope all goes well, mate. Remember to post any shots you get :+1:

1 Like

Will do. I’m just hoping I get a break in the weather, looks a bit bleak tomorrow :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Welcome to Cumbria :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do you charge at Tebay??

Interesting that you have an electric car. Do you find there is sometimes a queue at Tebay? Anyway, I Googled Tebay, and see there is a BP Chargemaster point there. Looking at the photos, it would appear that you need to log on to a URL. See photo. Do you have to log on at the time you want to charge, or do you just use the BP card which is also mentioned? If it IS necessary to log on, sorry but that gets right up my nose - yet another example of the assumption that everyone has a smart phone! There are current statistics which show that 16% of the UK adult population do not own a smart phone. That works out at around 8 million people. Including myself! (How do I fly my drone without a smart phone? - I have a Fimi A3).

There was a clip on The One Show a couple of weeks ago where the BBC reporter struggled when doing a piece on electric cars - he had to download an app before he could go ahead. How ridiculous - what happens if your phone battery also needs recharging? Or the phone is not working, or there is no signal. Surely far more sensible, as with many 24 hour self service filling stations, to be able to use a debit or credit card which are virtually universal for anyone who has a Bank account. I suspect far more than 84% of car owners have one. They are universally accepted with no brand loyalty needed! Simply pay per KWh. I certainly won’t be getting an electric car until that is the case.
Cheers,
Peter.

I’ve not used a charging station for over a year now where you don’t just tap your card and that’s it.

Quick update, English Heritage drone police was on site :man_facepalming: who as expected wrongfully assumed they own the air space above the castle!

I didn’t get i to a debate as I was representing my organisation!

I did get the mini up momentarily from the park to the rear of the castle, between showers but had a SD card malfunction so the images I have taken are screenshots and poor quality! Rather disappointed.

I will see what I can salvage and post later today I am currently sat in the services on route back to Liverpool.

1 Like

"I’ve not used a charging station for over a year now where you don’t just tap your card and that’s it.

Thanks for responding. But is your card specific to a particular supplier? Which could mean that some charging stations wouldn’t be accessible. Or can you use a standard contactless Credit or Debit card?
Cheers,
Peter

Yeah, just any card, same as you’d pay for anything anywhere else.

Actually I’ve just had a look on the BP chargemaster web site using the URL from the photo above, and had a very pleasant chat with one of their reps. If you use their charge points a lot it pays to subscribe. But for people with a home charger who don’t do a lot of long journeys and so don’t normally need to charge away from home, if necessary you can use a standard contactless card, although you pay more for the units, and it is likely to be the cheapest way to go. The guy reckoned the break even point for a subscription was 3 full charges per month. Smart phone NOT essential! Good to know.
Cheers,
Peter