Advice on improving colours in photos

That looks like a screenshot from your phone?
If you upload the jpg from the SD Card it will be higher resolution, etc., and provide a better starting point to judge.

It was a screenshot from the DJI app, I’m on my phone now while at work , have the original on the laptop at home, I was thinking more about the colours rather than the quality of the picture , I don’t seem to get any depth in the photos , I’m not sure I’m explaining it right ,

That photo looks quite washed out @Fat-Cat Mike, not vibrant enough?

Exactly that , I’ve seen photos others have taken and they seem a lot more vibrant with lots of depth of colour

ND filters only change the amount of light entering the camera, exposure … nothing else. And then, either in auto or manual, the camera settings will compensate.

Looking back at your intro post, I see this is a second-hand P4. So the best advice is to do a camera settings reset (if you haven’t already?).
The previous owner might have set things up in a non-standard way, so getting back to default is the place to start.

2 Likes

Once you’ve reset it as per Dave’s suggestion, if that doesn’t improve things my next point of call would be to have a play around with some of these settings to adjust the Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation:

Some recommendations here:

It’s an old thread, but still quite relevant.

1 Like

That’s fantastic advice , thank you , I will do a reset on the camera settings and take it from there , the guy I brought it from was a professional photographer so he may well of had it set up differently for a specific purpose , I will have a go , and let you know the results ,

Thanks for your advice

Mike

5 Likes

This is fairly obvious but good lighting can make a big difference to the vibrancy of the image. I would have said the issue in the photo is that the weather is overcast rendering the colours flat. Some more sunshine would improve it.

1 Like

I agree, the tiny tiny aperture on these cameras need as much light as they can get. It makes a shed load of difference does more light.

1 Like

Same photo edited with Snapseed. There’s definitely something up with the original image though.

1 Like

All of the above but what jumps out at me is you said the previous owner was a pro photographer.

Now, this may be teaching granny to suck eggs but let’s say its anyway: I suspect he was shooting in RAW which always appear flat and washed out and it is up to you to edit the image to your desire. Perhaps check the settings and see what the end output is?

Simple question - are you doing any editing of the images?

1 Like

I’ve done no editing at all, im brand new to this so anything at all, as simple as it may sound to you please tell me , if it’s something as simple as A RAW file (which I do think I’ve seen when copying to my laptop) is most likely the reason for this

That looks loads better, just from editing , I am going to post around with settings today , someone else has suggested the output file type which may well be the solution , I will reply later today with an update

Hello Mike @Fat-Cat , these are old videos now but it should help you a fair bit.

1 Like

@Fat-Cat HI MIke

Just had a read through the posts above, all good questions and advice, my question (I know you want vibrant images)
what is your end goal, where / what are the images for? social, print, personal usage?

do you have any image editing software or know how to edit?

The reason I ask if you are only using for social / personal use and not printing or don’t need large files, you don’t need RAW just jpg, so as mentioned RAWs can be washed out, jpgs would start off looking more vibrant so may be a starting point

1 Like

I’d never even heard of the RAW image format before I got my first drone :man_shrugging:

And now, I can’t imagine shooting in anything but raw :rofl:

Good Lightroom intro video to be found here too:

1 Like

all good if you have lightroom or other editing software, not everyone does.

and if you don’t need the massive files why shoot tin them (this coming from a pro photographer by the way - as a devils advocate)

1 Like

Fair point :slight_smile:

The principal is much the same though, regardless of your choice of editing software.

As per Mike’s topic title really, you’ll have far greater success editing a .DNG file than you will a .JPG file :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t dream of going and doing a pro job in jpg.

The compression alone kills any chance of getting a decent enough file to be able to edit anything that wasn’t light (almost) perfectly, especially for print work.

Different game altogether for social media/mobile screen use of course

1 Like

Don’t use the dji go 4 app editor it’s giving low res photos and videos always use a computer and import the files from the sd card