Advice please

Hi

I’m still a little confused over the Drone code.

While this now shows a crowd to be numbered at 1000, there is still some ambiguity of the definition of a built up area. There is a post in a forum on here that a member contacted the CAA for guidance and was told,

“With regards to built up areas, Nicholson said:

We ask people to use their common sense and make a safe judgement.
But within the bounds of reason - so a village is most likely not a built up area but a town / city / housing estate is.”

CAP722 states

3.6.2. Operations in Congested Areas Congested Areas
ANO 2016 Schedule 1 states that a ‘Congested Area’ means any area in relation to a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes.

I am a recreational flier and just want to ensure I am flying correctly.

Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated

Check out this topic @timmyp

1 Like

Thanks @PingSpike

I have seen this and took the quote about a village not being a built up area from it.

I was wondering if there was any other information around?

1 Like

I have been challenged on this, so need to know the definitive definition of a built-up area, please anybody.

@sm42 I posted a link, two posts up.

the link you posted @PingSpike is from 30/7/18. The original one i posted at the start was from 10/19 which is the more recent one. As stated earlier, a forum member contacted the CAA for guidance and was told something that adds confusion to the published Drone Code.

Is there more current official definations that anyone knows of?

The link I posted is from November 2018, which is when we asked CAA and they said:

We don’t provide a definitive definition of a crowd so drone users have the flexibility to make their own decisions as the pilot on the spot. For example a park at 6AM on Tuesday morning may well not be a congested or crowded area - but it probably would be at 3pm on a Saturday in July. If we make definitive definitions then that may exclude drone users from operating in places that at some times may be perfectly safe and legal to fly.

And:

We ask people to use their common sense and make a safe judgement. But within the bounds of reason - so a village is most likely not a built up area but a town / city / housing estate is.

I doubt very much this definition has changed.

If you’re still in doubt you could always contact them and update everyone here :+1:t2:

2 Likes

The drone code is only an introduction on how to stay within safe limits. CAP722 3.6.2 gives guidance on operations in congested areas.