Aerial DSLR - HDMI to AV converter

Sorry if this has been covered before - I DID try a search, honest!

I want to put a DSLR in the sky. I’m sorting out an old Droidwork Octopterwith DJI A2 controller, IOSD for TX channel selection and video switching between cameras and 5.8 GHz TX. It’s at the point where I can get a clear picture from the FPV camera with telemetry on screen.

The DSLR has HDMI output. We are now in an unknown world for me - I need to know how to connect the HDMI output to the IOSD input (Ground, Video and optional camera power).

I am assuming a converter of some sort although eBay seems to have a lot of AV input / HDMI output boxes for TV use I’m not finding anything for drone use and converting the other way - HDMI from camera becoming signal for IOSD and TX (or direct to TX)

In fact diret to TX could work well - two FPV cameras for telemetry and forward and down view. switchable and gimballed DSLR output, no telemetry, to separate monitor via a second TX

Or can I just take an HDMI cable, set the camera to correct HDMI resolution and wire it to TX - if so which wires do I connect?

Or is there a simple and well-known solution of which, because of my sheltered upbringing, I am unaware? :slight_smile:

I’ve come across a few video tutorials, one for Canon and the other for Nikon.

I’ve used the USB option on my Canon DSLR’s not for FPV but so I could remote operate the camera and focus without touching the camera itself.

The Nikon tutorial uses a HDMI to AV converter, the output of the converter is wired to the FPV transmitter.

I’ve included a link to the AV converter available from Banggood.

Thanks for looking that up for me. I’ve gone for the Banggood converter so it will be a while before I see it but it seems as though it will do the job.

I think I’ll run it through a separate TX and use two monitors on a ground station - looks like I’ll have a bit of time to build one while waiting for the converter to be sailed round Cape Horn!

3 Likes