Airport parking charge

Help me out here, please? Why would anyone land his/her drone on an airport??? Am I missing something?? Do these ppl really think they’re flying an airplane??

Did you read the article mate? It was a flyaway, he wasn’t piloting it:

when his flyaway DJI Phantom 3 drone landed at McCarran Airport

What I don’t understand is how a DJI craft entered a NFZ in the first place :man_shrugging:

1 Like

GPS error.

It entered ATTI and drifted until it auto landed in the worst place possible.

1 Like

This is something dji need to look at.

Compass or GPS errors are pretty rare but when they happen I bet a lot of people dont know how to respond.

You lose the position and orientation of aircraft on the map and need to rely on the FPV feed if your beyond VLOS.

Any wind and it starts travelling along with it in that direction.

With the small range on a P3 you wouldnt have that long to start counter acting the wind before it loses signal and at that point just keeps going until low battery.

Majority of flyaways on early models were for that exact reason combined with inexperienced pilots.

2 Likes

I always assumed dji stuff rth’d or landed in an error situation. I guess I should never assume!. But really. I am a believer in drone flying tests. Like a driving test. Optional of course. I’ve met pilots who refuse to fly atti as its too hard. I may make enemies here, but I do think that is a recipe for trouble. I think it’s important for people to fly manually. Not acro, but without gps.

4 Likes

Most of my first 5 drones were none GPS so had to fly manual . So hands on sticks all the time and an eye on the craft . I didn’t have FPV , Just a action cam strapped to the bottom .

2 Likes

Completely agree.

Even if it’s just with a toy drone with altitude hold. Gives them an idea of how to control a real one in ATTI.

Looking at the video of the guys fly away, the buildings he was flying near were massive. Would only have had to drift beyond the top of one and hed have lost signal instantly.

Not much time to learn ATTI on the spot.

2 Likes

Except if the GPS wasn’t working properly, where would “home” be? My UK-based Phantom 4 briefly thought it was in Africa once. I only reaslised when I looked at the logs after the flight.

Default longtitude and latitude🤔
Off the coast of Africa :weary:

3 Likes

That would explain it.

I’ve been there a few times
But fortunately only on the Mission Planner screen :joy::joy::thinking: