Amazon drone deliveries in jeopardy

I tend to agree with the very last comment, ‘But it’s never going to get off the ground’ Well, certainly not in the foreseeable future.

I really do think they underestimated the complexities involved in a machine AI learning all the risks, hazards and anomalies that we as humans take for granted and act on daily to avoid accidents. Just think of all that would be needed to be visually analysed, recognised and avoided to enable that 27kg piece of kit to get from a distribution point to the front lawn of Mrs Pembridge at 16 Crescent Gardens, Worksop. And think of the consequences when, not if, that 27kg drone and its payload has a wobbler and crashes onto the M1 North just outside of Birmingham.

It’s the same with autonomous cars. Can’t see it in my lifetime.

4 Likes

Some wobbler that, the M1 goes no where near Brum ;o)

3 Likes

Strong wind from 1000ft :wink:

1 Like

It always struck me as such a stupid and pointless idea.

3 Likes

… brutal :clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

In my defence I’m a Southerner and very rarely venture north of Watford :smiley:

2 Likes

Meanwhile, in the USA:

Trials have also been made in the UK with shortish BVLOS flights over the Solent using fixed wing UAS

If tilt wing or hybrid aircraft were used - something like this but built for payload rather than endurance:

https://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-ayk-250-vtol.html then deliveries of urgent samples and drugs, perhaps even human organs between hospitals and labs could become possible although in this country we are always at the mercy of the weather.

1 Like

They are planning a route over Morecambe Bay between Barrow and Lancaster

1 Like