Another forced landing

Once again, kept the drone in the air too long whilst watching the Flying Scotsman, the last thing I saw on the screen was something like this surface is not suitable for landing, drone ended up on its back in a crevice, luckily I could get to it and other than one set off props with minor damage on the tips (now swapped out) it was unmarked. :sweat_smile: That last 10% of battery disappears in no time.

1 Like

That’s why they recommend you bring it home at 20 :wink:

4 Likes

I use a few services to track trains, the 2 most used are real-time trains and traksy. Traksy has track maps of a lot of the UK, sadly not the Settle line, showing the trains between each set of lights. I used that this morning to watch when Tornado left Carnforth so my Mini 2 only went in the air with a full battery when Tornado was a few minutes away.

Rtt shows similar info in a table, here’s your train this morning about 11 minutes late.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U54966/2021-07-24/detailed

Could help save another 10% issue!

I’ve always had an aversion against being told what to do :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll bear that in mind next time, another issue is I was further away than most people were on purpose so as I didn’t get disturbed, when looking on google maps it didn’t look as far away as it actually was so it took a bit of flight time to get over where I wanted and even then I put the two times zoom on the footage, all a learning curve, never been anywhere before that was on a time frame.

2 Likes

Waited for an hour and half this afternoon outside Hexham Northumberland to video the Scotsman only to find out it had broken down at Carlisle and was being loco hauled, then I forgot to press the button on the video so got feck all dick and head come to mind :upside_down_face::joy:

What a blow, kinda glad I managed to get it going under its own steam. I guess the passengers wouldn’t be too impressed paying for a steak trip and getting hauled by a diesel.

It will be in the T&Cs. There’s always a diesel loco attached to the train in case it breaks down. Majority of the time these days it only does the journey one way anyway and the diesel does the return leg. I think I actually had a leaflet come through the door for this one as one of my local stations was a pick up for the journey, and it advertised it would be hauled back by diesel.

Not always, but usually.

A diesel loco on the rear is not just an “insurance policy” but also in some set-ups can give the train a shove uphill so that the train doesn’t slow down too much hence can meet requirements for the desired route at the desired time of day (too slow and you won’t get a path), plus it means the shiny expensively-restored/built steam loco isn’t strained too much and doesn’t end up stalled if the crew (or coal) are less than great. May also be providing “hotel power” for the train.

GC