Another from Norfolk

Hi all,

Just saying hello to the community. I am now the proud owner of Mavic Pro platinum. Living in Carbrooke South of Norwich. I haven’t had much “Air” time (maybe only 3 of 4 hours in total) because of weather, family, work, etc. I’m only really just getting to grips with how the thing works to be honest and haven’t really tried any advanced features yet. Trying to find places to fly without unwanted attention is the biggest issue I have so I spend most times searching for BIIIIG open areas to practice (of which there seem to be few around here). I use the old Watton airfield at the moment but that’s now coming under development, which is a huge shame as it’s an awesome practice area. So, yeah. Hello to all…:smiley:

8 Likes

Jim welcome to GADC, I would suggest you do two things firstly, put yourself on the members map so that then you could see if there are any filers nearby you that you could potentially meet up with to maybe boost your confidence. Secondly, I would advise looking at the drone scene website, this is a website that is basically put together by members of good places to go and fly.

If you fancy a chat send me a DM, I’d be more than happy to!

1 Like

Hi Alex, many Thanks. I have perused the Drone scene site and there does seem to be a lot of places around here. My only concern would be landowner permission. Are these places definitely okay to fly in and around? Edit : I understand we can generally fly from Public areas but i mean things like Fields, etc.

1 Like

Well, with Drone scene v3 it does actually state wither land owner permission is required or not (if known)

Hi Jim @Sneakygloworm and welcome to Grey Arrows mate, glad you could join us :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that I am slap bang in the middle of 2 potential sites. Dereham and Attleborough. Both have landowner requirements unknown. Does that mean that landowner permission has not been given? The only reason I ask is that I need to have access to pretty much all the land within a 40 mile radius of where I live as my job involves cutting trees around the powerlines so I need to have a very good professional relationship with farmers, etc. I simply can’t afford to upset landowners.

4 Likes

Well, I’d say to chat with different landowners that you come in to contact with it never hurts to ask. I’ve actually seen members on this forum build get relationships with farmers and so on.

You never know until you ask!

1 Like

That will be displayed on historical entries before we added permission to the DS site.

Hello and welcome.

Hi Rich,

Many Thanks. Hoping to learn a thing or two. I’m pretty new to drone flying so i’m all fingers and thumbs at the mo. I kinda wish i’d started last summer really. Seems like a long haul till good weather again…

Many Thanks, Richard

1 Like

I do pest control on a large estate so decided to just ask and booom they said anytime and if i could would i do them some pics for them, they was just as interested in the drones as i am, you won’t know until you ask, just be polite and friendly and the worst that can happen is a refusal. Happy flying :grin::+1::+1:

Cheers David! Yeah I did ask 2 very local farmers who’s land i’d spent most of last summer cutting on. Although very understanding, they both said that they absolutely despised drones. One of them had caught a user filming his actual farm buildings. I could completely understand though and never pressed them. It certainly took the wind out my rotors though. I only generally ask permission to access the land (during work) and it’s usually with a phone call. I’ll just have to find a nice open field and knock on a door. Generally, I think that if people aren’t going to get in the way and cause damage, they probably don’t mind.

1 Like

Welcome to the club Jim hope you get some good places to fly I have the same where I am lots of NFZ but it’s just nice to get the Mavic up for a quick spin when it’s dry

Many Thanks Dave. Yeah it’s strangely addictive isn’t it. :smiley: I applied to join the BMFA because of the insurance and on that site, it gave a list of clubs in the UK. There are 820. One of them is about 2 miles from my House! It seems to be a large acreage field where the squadron go to fly various aircraft. This seems to be mainly on Sundays and Tuesdays. I need to do a bit of practice anyway so (weather permitting) I’ll pop along, say hello and learn a thing or two and with any luck, they’ll allow me to use the field at any time in the future when the weather is good to fly after work or early Saturday, etc, as I won’t always be able to attend on the club’s flight days. It could certainly be a good way to meet local flyers and learn about good places to fly and the club chairman says there are a few drone pilots who regularly attend.

2 Likes

Hi Jim, I live in Norwich, so not so far from you, if you find any good areas to fly around near where you are, let me know and we can arrange a meet sometime.
I live near the A11 at Eaton, and Eaton Park is my local Flying area.

1 Like

Nice one Chris. I’m having a nightmare finding anywhere to fly to be honest. Of course, i’m new to this so I tend to expect glares of hostility from every man and his dog, wherever I place my landing pad. Earlier i spoke of joining a group very close to me but on top of BMFA membership, they also want me to join Watton Radio Model Club at an extra 70 quid to fly at the site. Watton Club is very well regulated and completely professional but judging from pics, it’s also cramped airspace when they’re all there. The last thing I want to do is have a mid air crash with a grand’s worth of P51 scale model, etc. :S And without sounding like a chump, I’m not really a clubby person.

My good wife works Saturday nights and so I’m with my 5 year old son for most of Sunday’s and this is a good time to play. Although the wind was up, I reckoned on a launch this morning, charged everything to 100%. But of course, it’s a tiny bit chilly so he doesn’t want to go out. Bl@#dy Kids!!!

A meet up would be good though. I generally fly at Watton Airfield. Not easily accessible (and theoretically off limits) but it’s a Massive open area. Watton Town council have said they’re fine with me going on there but it has been bought by Bennet’s for Major Development. I haven’t contacted them as work hasn’t begun but I reckon they’ll say “NO!” . So, the inevitable will happen and that will be that.

Maybe at some point I could join you at Eaton park.