App or PDF of the Drone Code

HI - is there downloadable version of the full Drone code, or an iOS app with the same, that can be carried around in case you need to check it or provide to someone else to confirm that you are flying in accordance with the regulations?

Can’t find such a think on the CAA site, just the interactive version.

Thanks

1 Like

If you go to this page, there are a number of CAP’s in pdf format for flying in different locations, along with a copy of CAP2012 with the new drone riles

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

1 Like

This is a single sheet published by the CAA that should give any nosey bystanders something to read:

2 Likes

No :cry:

Maybe DJI should give away a free briefcase with each drone purchased before 2023 :thinking:

Then we can carry over a thousand pages of printouts with us.

The world has gone mad I tell ya!

5 Likes

Assuming we’ll be allowed out again by then to fly them :roll_eyes:

This was useful for the old rules:

Should be simple enough to knock a new one up.

One? Have you read the new rules?

2 Likes

Thank you all! Some good links there :slight_smile:

For each flying case you own.

I’ve seen a fair few attempts that try to capture the ins and outs for every drone, of a certain weight, flying above, close to or away from people, and built up areas, crowds, with a DMARES, A2 etc. It all gets a bit messy.

Ideally, and I know it’s a fair bit of work, there should be a separate document per user, per drone MTOM, per situation/location, per drone pilot qualification.

Put that info in, print it out, take it with you, if challenged, here you go sunshine, now of you fuck!

Ned

5 Likes

Don’t forget to include the rules that are not covered by the CAA.
Are you allowed to fly from a certain field / recreational space,
The bylaws have not changed nor have any of the land based rules.

This is probably what you’re looking for. Modified and unfortunately far more stringent rules than the previous ‘dome’ type no fly areas. In particular the comment “If you fly higher than 50m, you should keep the same distance horizontally. For example, keep 80m away if you fly at a height of 80m.” Ouch!!

I’d been considering getting a more advanced and larger replacement for my Fimi A3 later this year when travel becomes easier, but I’d also need a smart phone or new small tablet (the Android version on my 7" is too old). But I’m beginning to wonder if it’s worth the investment. At least with the old rules if over 50 m height you were ok overflying isolated buildings or small groups of people. Not any more :worried:

I suppose a Mavic Mini2 might be the answer?

Cheers,
Peter

PS does anyone know how to classify an older drone, i.e C0, C1 etc.?

You can’t I’m afraid, every drone on the planet is now considered a legacy drone.

And who knows how long it may be until the new class-marked drones arrive. Not a single manufacturer has even hinted at one, let alone confirmed anything. It could be another year or more? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks Peter. That’s great. Now set up as a shortcut on my phones Home Screen, just in case …

That CAA page isn’t as clear as it should be. The 1:1 rule (what you are referring to) only applies to drones >250g, and is just guidance, not legally mandatory.

There are some other things that are misleading on that page as well, it will often be better to refer to CAP2012 which is more closely tied to what the actual regulations require.

If you are a member of a model flying association (BMFA, FPVUK etc), you can use their Operational Authorisation in recreational and non-urban areas to fly as you did before (a bubble over isolated buildings and people), and indeed now down to 30m instead of 50m. And sub-250g drones can ignore this entirely.

2 Likes

Are any of them clear? :grimacing:

1 Like

I think we’ve said this before, but in trying to take something complicated and dumb it down, they’ve ended up making much of it unclear or misleading, and some of it appears downright wrong.

From the same page previously linked:

If you’re flying a drone or model aircraft that’s between 250g and 500g, or is C1 class, you can fly closer to people than 50m, but you must not intentionally fly over them.

Spot the error (or omission): I’ve sent them feedback on that one.

I came cross this table that covers the categories. Quite clear and simple to follow.

It is confusing isn’t it. Thanks for the other pointers above. So it would appear that in general it’s pretty well business as usual, for now anyway. But when I was looking for the page with the new graphics I also came across this one. Hope it’s accessible. this system won’t accept the original link… Also worth looking at, but as mentioned above it would seem that it’s going to be a while before new drones are given classes. I certainly don’t like the bit about ‘Remote ID’ - definitely smacks of Big Brother!

Maybe I SHOULD upgrade this year after all, get in as a legacy drone. Short list at the moment is a DJI Air2 or Fimi X8 SE2020. Similar flight and camera abilities, Air2 has collision sensors of course and Geo-Awareness, although from reading various postings it would seem that the latter can sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help. Fimi much cheaper of course, and I really like their controller which easily takes a 7" tablet. Yes I’d have to get a new tablet, but over a few months, certainly less than a year, a basic one costs no more than a smart phone, then it’s free and clear, and of course is dedicated to the drone - no worries about phone calls etc.

I find it rather ironic that a DJI mini with bare propellers being under 250 g is legally considered safer than the same drone when fitted with propeller guards which take it above the weight limit. And those propeller guards are probably the safest around as they almost completely enclose the propellers. They don’t seem to be included in the Mini2 Flymore combo - pity.

Peter

1 Like

?