Are lights required for night flights?

Have seen a couple of people mention the rules now state that drones need flashing lights at night, which would make sense, but cant remember seeing anything on this on my A2CofC course a couple of weeks ago or my DMARES (which i must admit was over a year ago)

So i have seen odd mentions that all drones require a green flashing LED underneath them, is this true?
Mine has a flashing LED but its blue (not the best colour for human vision i know but my drone is built by the French and they also thought peugeots were ok, nuff said)

So do they requre a GREEN led and does this apply to all drones even “legacy” ones?

I am not sure you “need” lights ( for smaller drones ) ( just doing my A2CofC and havent seen reference to them ), but mine help me with VLOS and lights are very helpful sometimes during the day too. The single white Stobon under mine ( see discount codes thingy ) is very good and has been very reliable. I have got green and red for the sides to help orientation, but havent used them yet.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware this comes in to force in July 2022.

See CAP1789A (i.e. the UAS implementing regulations), page 27, section UAS.OPEN.060 (2) (g):

During the flight, the remote pilot shall when operating at night, ensure that a green flashing light on the unmanned aircraft is activated.

Note, so far as I can see this is a requirement in the Open category (A1, A2, A3) but not for pilots operating under the flying clubs’ Operational Authorisation.

@Drumsagard, any specific source for the suggestion that this is July 2022 rather than applicable today?

I think the reason this may not be well known is that it wasn’t in the original (2018) EASA Implementing Regulation, it was added in the 2020/639 amendment.

2 Likes

I had it in my head that the rule on green lights hadn’t come in yet, so did a quick Google search. A couple of links mentioned July 22.

1 Like

July

Confirmed, it’s the 3rd point above, doesn’t apply until 1 July 2022.

1 Like

Just remembered it was mentioned on my A2 CofC course with UAV Academy.

1 Like

The EASA A1+A3 test which is a requirement for flying in Europe does have a question regarding lighting for night flights - green is the answer. It is mentioned in the training. Hours of darkness are also defined as half an hour after sunset, half an hour before dawn.

Makes sense!

The course is FREE and fun to do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks all. Better buy a green strobing before 2022 then.

1 Like