Asking permission to fly - Durham Wildlife Trust

Made enquiries to the Durham wildlife Trust today. For permission to fly my drone at low barns wildlife park . Denied. Whats your thoughts guys ? Shall I do it from outside the grounds on a public street or should I not bother ?

1 Like

That’s a bit like asking people here if I should wear a blue hat or a red hat?

3 Likes

Definitely blue! Matches your avatar! :wink:

6 Likes

Blue hat and I wouldn’t. It’s a nature reserve and area of special scientific interest. Someone will be along shortly with the contrary opinion to help make your mind up :grin:

1 Like

Surely red hat is no ?

1 Like

I gave it some thought. I’ve a red hoodie and a red fleece but more blue t-shirts and polo shirts. On balance I went blue.as in “what would I do”

1 Like

Surely red hat is Linux. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That training course lost me by the way, HR mumbo jumbo.

Dick

Eh?

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t bother. Not knowing the wildlife trust you mention specifically, I would suggest that if it houses migratory birds and the like there would be a clear danger of injury to the birds from the drone.

Furthermore if you do disturb the wildlife with the flight you may well be interviewed by the police for possible offences under, say, the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

6 Likes

He prefers Richard :smirk: just saying

2 Likes

A lot depends on the time of year as well. It’s an offence to disturb nesting burdies and flying a drone at low level could be considered to be disturbing them during nest building time. I was asked to remove a nest of a pigeon which had been built in a railway electrical cabinet on the Goole railway swing bridge over the Ouse. Our engineers couldn’t repair the circuits until the nest was removed. I had to apply and get granted a licence in order to remove the nest, giving my full details and the reason for destroying the nest.

1 Like

Blue
And carry an unfurled umbrella :wink:

I agree with @BCF above . We have a duty of care as individulas as well. Even if i could fy these places I would avoid them tbh

2 Likes

Yeah I’d probably stay well away from somewhere like that. But also in general its better to either ask for permission or for forgiveness but you’re in a bad position if you find yourself having to do the latter after the former has already been knocked back.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

As its a wildlife park you could be disturbing wildlife which this time of year is an offence if you disturb nesting birds so i can see why your request was refused. I would suggest that you approach them later in the year.Rock up and volunteer, help out, show them the drone without flying it and ask if they want some publicity phots from the air.

Why make things worse on top of that it is against the law to fly your drone over livestock especially over national trust park’s. so the answer is don’t bother. A good way for us drone users is to fly our drone up and find stuff that needs reporting. That will get the general public on our side. Fly… find… report. We can play our part to make the streets safer.

Link to said law ?

2 Likes