Assembly queries for a novice

@tom.at.rye how’s the build going? Any fresh pictures?

I’m just waiting on some stand offs to be sent from Cam. Which is a shame because id be tempted to take to the skies and try for a speed record this weekend if all was ready…!

2 Likes

Hey dude.

What’s the latest? Is it a lean mean upside down machine?

Oh, I had to get myself a new soldering iron now. Never ends. Fortunately the weather has not been conducive to flying…

Hey all, back on it. Soldering iron came, what a beauty! But I found the adapter I was using had a dodgy connection so I ordered another one which came with a European plug so then I had to order an adapter for that! But eventually got going again.

All looking good, my soldering is better BUT I got another query.

What do I connect the vtx to?

1. the input says 7-24V but I’ve only got 5v supply on the mamba.
  2. the instructions provided by @notveryprettyboy are for a slightly different FC configuration… (instructions on right, reality on left)… Just wondering what to solder the TBS (assuming smart audio) and VI wires too…?

I’d put the vtx straight to the lipo on the 4 in 1. Or to vcc on the fc.
Smart Audio to a free uartx tx.
Video from camera goes to cam.
VID is the video out to the vtx.

1 Like

assuming the vtx can take vbat i would solder it to gnd vcc on the fc. ideally you want to keep the video power and feeds away from the noisy esc

1 Like

Thanks all! Knew I could rely on some only slightly incomprehensible guidance! I’ll consider it after I’ve sobered up.

Another question though…

What do I do with the capacitor that came with the flight controller?

It might be a sweet.

Solder it to the esc power in. That’s the biggest source of noise. But make sure it’s the right way round.

What karl @notveryprettyboy says… You solder it on the FC or ESC battery pads, as close to the LiPo battery as you can electrically get it.
Some people even solder it to the battery terminal

(ignore the little connector, this is a bench test lead)

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Ok so with the capacitor, across the lipo pads right?

There’s no indication as to which is +ve and which is - ve? So what’s the right way round??

The gold bit with the rectangle is gnd

1 Like

Oh, they couldn’t be bothered to actually print that on it? It’d help, you know…! So mean…

Thanks buddy… Next step! We getting there…

:rofl: Tom the rectangle is a big massive negative sign. ha ha ha

1 Like

Are you still pissed?

Oh I suppose you could see it like that if you were charitable!

1 Like

Whehey! Can’t wait to crash it!

Ok, after I’ve soldered in the frsky and programed the bastard…

1 Like