At last! Drone friendly stately home (Kiplin Hall, North Yorks)

I’m in favour of this. If you’re visiting anyway you essentially get a license to TOAL over large parts of the site without other visitors being able to complain. If you fancy some stately home drone photos and are choosing which site to go to in the area, why would you not go here?

Sure you can still TOAL from outside, but that’s just not what this is about. There are so many places where there is no good, accessible, safe, drone-code compliant TOAL site outside the property boundary, that having some which are more accommodating seems like a good thing to me.

2 Likes

They have purchased airspace then? Or are they saying you have a allocated space on their private land to launch and land your drone? Because this needs to be reworded to show the present law and guidelines, at best it is misleading, which could see many other places of interest, mistakenly taking the same route.

3 Likes

It’s private property, they can tell you what you can & can’t do on their land. By entering their private property, you are accepting their terms. Don’t agree with them? Don’t step on their land.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Just fly over it instead.

2 Likes

For free, and not tied to their ‘drone areas’

2 Likes

I agree with your comments entirely. TOAL outside is not a great option. Much of the perimeter to the estate is private land. There are a couple of ‘lay-bys’ on the public highway alongside the estate. TOAL is Ok - providing that you are happy with no VLOS due to the trees alongside the road.
The entrance fee seems reasonable as it allows you multiple entries during the year.

3 Likes

If I was looking for somewhere to go, I’d be happy to pay the entrance fee and have somewhere to fly, even if it’s restricted. I’m more cautious than some sound, I prefer to keep my drone in sight so for me, it’s a :+1: for Kiplin Hall.

3 Likes

There is another stately home/estate which is quite amenable to drone operators. Somerleyton Hall in East Suffolk. I had the pleasure of flying there earlier this year before they opened the gardens for the season. The 4th Baron Somerleyton was quite happy for me to wander around the grounds and gardens to my hearts content taking off and landing wherever I chose.

They’re closed again now but it may be worth enquiring before the weather shuts us all down.

3 Likes

Drones work in the cold! :wink:

1 Like

But not in drizzle, rain, fog, snow etc :wink:

Depends on the drone. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Aye, indeed it does :+1:

Well if it is like that all winter, I will show my wots-it in Burtons window :joy:

You’re the reason they went bust, aren’t you? :smiley:

Great move all round really, they’re essentially just saying go ahead and enjoy your hobby within reason and are checking insurance. Bonus if any Karen’s decide to give you an earful for flying there you can just point out that it’s included in the ticket price.

2 Likes

ARGH! I wish I’d known.

I was there this summer when we were over there on holiday and even had my 2" fpv drone in the boot of the car.

It’s a lovely location.

Edit: It looks like it was added to drone scene the week after I was there! Double ARGH!

1 Like

Damn, what a shame. Yeah, I emailed them expecting to get knocked back but they more or less said fill ya boots as long as it’s on a day when they’re closed to the public. ( i did an edited version for them to use but shh, mums the word)

1 Like

Totally agree and that is my point. Given it isn’t a no fly zone and you abide by the current legislation, why would you.

3 Likes

It is clearly deliberately misleading, there is no mention of take-off and landing which is obviously what your ticket is buying you. Covered by Geeksvana on YT. The wording is being changed.

I’ve taken another look at this today and the policy has been significantly updated.

Much more specific reference to take off and landing, and no attempt to claim that overflight from adjacent land can be prohibited in any way.

Looks like both DronePrep and Kiplin Hall have been receptive to the comments about the original document :+1:

3 Likes