Autel Evo II 2 leak - Now not a leak!

Get comfy, this in gonna take a while :smiley:

Not in any particular order, but here goes!

The controller sensitivity is wildly sensitive on its defaults. I thought the Inspire was bad on its default settings but man, outta the box this thing doesnā€™t like any quick stick actions.

Maybe Iā€™m too used to my finely tuned and fettled Mavic Pro which is as smooth as butter, but the Evo doesnā€™t seem to have anywhere near the finesse. Itā€™s almost raw, hardcore, like the Inspire is. Eg. If youā€™re cruising at full speed in non-sport mode (which is just kinda average speed) then any stick input causes what look like wild reactions in the air :scream:

You donā€™t see it on the screen at all, the gimbal is flawless! But man, the ā€œair brakingā€ā€¦ shit me I thought it was going to do a somersault at one point.

Note to self, change the EXP settings on the next fight.

Iā€™ve see a few YT videos where people are recommending various EXP settings so Iā€™ve jotted down a few to try and will use those as a starter for ten.

My next observation was the prop noise.

This is not a quiet aircraft :hear_no_evil:

Funnily enough, when I was walking the dog on the canal this morning there were a few blokes fishing on the other side and one of them launched a Mavic Mini. As I watched it go up I said to myself, ā€œIā€™d forgotten how quiet the MM wasā€ā€¦

So having heard a MM take off just a few hours before my Evo flight, it was fresh it my mind.

What struck me about the prop noise was not so much that itā€™s loud per se, but that the noise doesnā€™t seem to go away? Even at 120m up I could still hear it as if it was at 50m!

The Mavic Pro by comparison goes silent at what, 60m? :man_shrugging:

Tricky to describe, but yes, itā€™s not loud on the floor or during take off, but the volume level seems consistent, no matter how far away you are from it.

Weirdā€¦

The next thing I noticed was the signal.

At +500m out and around 60m heigh I was still sitting bang on 100% max strength.

I didnā€™t want to fly too far out on my first venture so I didnā€™t do a proper range test, despite being in a field, but I have a feeling itā€™s not going to be an issue.

Weā€™re only 2.4GHz on the Evo donā€™t forget.

Iā€™ll test it in an urban environment and update you accordingly.

Itā€™s orange.

Very orange.

As a few of you have pointed outā€¦

Donā€™t knock that landing pad guys, itā€™s reversible. Putting it on the soil in a field with the dark side pointing up would have made zero sense :man_facepalming:

Plus, the orange side matches the drone perfectly :slight_smile:

Anyway, where I was heading with the orange thingā€¦

I thought it would be easier to see in the sky but actually, it didnā€™t seem to make any difference at all (again, compared to the MP).

It was seriously cloudy today though, maybe the orange will help on a blue sky instead? Iā€™ll let you know.

Lucky I could still hear it eh? :rofl:

There are two bright white LEDs mounted on the undercarriage.

The Autel Explorer app (still think thatā€™s a stupid name) lets you control the LEDs between Off / On / Auto / 1s flash / 2s flash.

Being used to Strobon CREE LEDs for so long Iā€™ve clearly been spoilt and was probably expecting a bit too much from these built in lights.

The always-on mode doesnā€™t aid finding it in the sky at all. Might be ok at night, but the 1s flash mode does help.

Worth also mentioning that theyā€™re recessed a little bit in to the body which means when flying at low altitudes you canā€™t always see the LED flashing. Anything over 40m and itā€™s quite visible though.

If youā€™re doing a regular flight youā€™ll be fine. If you want to push the boundaries of VLOS youā€™re gonna need Strobon CREEs as well.

Battery life seems good.

Autel quote 40mins but as per DJI thatā€™s gonna be in laboratory conditions eh.

I flew a single battery for 23 minutes and landed with 30% still left.

If someone can work out how much time I had left from that, please let me know. My brain has given up the ghost for today.

Iā€™d need to do some proper battery tests though, this flight was a crazy mixture of flight manoeuvres, hovering while changing settings, testing ā€œLudicrous Modeā€ (which makes DJIs Sports Mode sound tame :rofl:) etc so perhaps donā€™t pay too much attention to that battery life stat just yet.

The batteries have the same self-discharge functionality as the DJI LiPos too, also user definable in the app up to a maximum of ten days. Iā€™m not sure if pressing the button to check the battery level resets the counter like it does on DJI, will let you know.

Some funky shenanigans going with the SD card.

Normally (again, on all my DJI craft), I stick the card in to a windows desktop pc and cut/paste to my NAS.

Ohhhhh noā€¦ Autel said. Iā€™m not allowed to do thatā€¦

I can copy the files from the card fine but for some reason I donā€™t have write access to the card to delete anything.

Itā€™s a regular 128GB MicroSD card which was formatted in the drone.

I have now formatted the card on the Windows PC to exFAT, which I assume wonā€™t cause the drone any problems.

Also, Iā€™ve read that Autel do some even weirder shit on the SD card.

Apparently, and Iā€™ve yet to witness this first hand, each time you power on the craft it starts a new folder, with all the filenames starting at 1 again inside said folder.

So if you burn three batteries, youā€™re gonna have three sequentially numbered folders, all containing lots of files with identical filenames to those in the other folder :man_facepalming:

Will report back on that, and the exFAT thing, in a future update.

Build quality.

I mentioned before in this thread somewhere that the build quality is really good.

The only thing that feels a bit cheap is the charging hub. Probably because itā€™s tall, and hollow so therefore very light weight.

Also equally as impressive is the screen built in to the controller.

Iā€™ve not looked up the specs of the display yet but itā€™s really crisp and sharp, a good high resolution, and it displays everything you need to know.

Itā€™s also really easy to see in broad daylight. I was very impressed with it :+1:t2:

Side noteā€¦ I flew using my iPhone XR today, thereā€™s a problem with one of the CrystalSky mounts I bought, will post about that elsewhere.

Possibly not the best device to fly with, the screen isnā€™t amazingly bright and the XR is very long, meaning quite a stretched out image. Again, Iā€™m used to flying with a square-ish CS for years now so this was a little odd.

Anyway, very impressed with the build quality of the drone, the batteries and the controller.

Top marks Autel.

Taking photos while recording a video!

Shit me DJI, is it really that hard?!

Another side note, I started recording video before I took off and noticed that when it landed it auto-stopped the video. Which makes me wonder if it auto-starts recording at take off, like Litchi can/does :thinking: Will test that theory.

It was very novel snapping a few random pics while filming a video though :slight_smile:

Which leads me on to the 6K videoā€¦

Fuck me that burns through some memory card storage space, eh? :rofl:

I donā€™t even own a 4K TV so itā€™s perhaps a bit wasted on me at the moment. I usually have my Mavic Pro set to record in 2K, then I output to 1080p for watching on the TV in the living room. So for now, Iā€™ll switch this down to 2K too.

I plan to get a 4K TV later this year, around the time the PS5 gets launched :grimacing:

The other thing that became apparent quite quickly is that iMovie can only export my 6K video at 4K :thinking:

Itā€™s a 27" 5K Retina iMac so Iā€™m assuming this is an iMovie limitation (rather than a hardware limitation) and that something like FCPX can export 6K? :man_shrugging:

Or Davinci Resolve? :thinking:

Advice welcomed on that front.

Camera settings in generalā€¦

Mehā€¦

Where do you start eh? :man_shrugging:

It took me about a year to get the MP settings to where I wanted them. Granted, less for the Inspire (on the X5 camera), but even soā€¦ you know what itā€™s like eh?

I have a feeling the Evo camera settings are going to be a bit of trial and error too.

No doubt Iā€™ll get it to exactly where I want it, but itā€™s all new, itā€™ll take me a while to find my way around it all.

No Fly Zones.

Did I mention there are no NFZs? :smiley:

Did I? :thinking:

Noneā€¦

Literally, nothing.

None in the craft, none in the app.

Nothing :bowing_man:

AirData UAV.

For some reason, AirData canā€™t see the battery serial numbers so it thinks I only have one battery :man_shrugging:

Yet strangely, it can see all of the individual cells in the battery, and their deviation.

Weird that it canā€™t then see the serial numbers eh?

Also, no picture previews in AirData like you get on DJI. Again, strange, as it knows youā€™ve taken a photo.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 20.36.35

:man_shrugging:

Gonna claim myself the Evo 2 speed limit leaderboard position in a minute btw :rofl:

Also, there is no Litchi support donā€™t forget. Litchi only has love for DJI.

Happy to answer any questions or do any tests, just shout!

8 Likes