Autel Evo II 2 leak - Now not a leak!

I could be tempted,but no bloody amazon acc…and after the way they treated me… :rage: :rage:

Did anyone take advantage of that rather excellent deal?

@OzoneVibe I like breathing😫

I was earlier looking at a video on Evo and really impressed did search and found eBay Chinese location which I would never commit to, bang @PingSpike put a update and did have all in Amazon basket🙄 but I thought better of it after just buying the Mini 2 and not much flying time with bad weather.

Maybe blessing in disguise as it could be cheaper or another fantastic drone be released in the new year.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Autel Dragonfish

Not quite the bargain it was a few weeks ago, but there is currently £100 quid off the Autel Evo 2 6K Pro Rugged bundle on Amazon at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-EVO-Rugged-Combo-102000197/dp/B087X5WGXS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=autel+evo&qid=1608236264&sr=8-5

Looks like Autel are taking another page out of DJIs book as “Autel Robotics Care” was hinted at recently:

https://youtu.be/25UMkUjJGrw

The recent firmware update also included support (via “activation”) for this care package too.

I’m not sure if it’ll only be available to USA customers when it launches, or worldwide, but as always with all things Autel I shall keep you posted :+1:t2:

1 Like

Soooooo…

Much as I’m an Autel fan, I probably won’t be recommending Autel Care to anyone now that all the details have been finalised and announced :confused:

First up, you have to buy the Care package itself, that’ll be USD$189 please :grimacing:

With the care package now yours, the first replacement drone will cost you $169 and the second replacement will cost $199.

If you live outside the USA you’ll also need to pay the shipping cost of your drone, with the controller, back to Autel in America. So you can probably add what, another £80 odd quid (insured) to that?

Granted, these prices are for the Evo 2 6K Pro model, but even so, I personally think that’s horrendously expensive.

Another downside… if you don’t register the care package within 48hrs of activating your drone, you have to send the drone to Autel for inspection! DJI just need a video showing your drone in full working condition, right? :man_shrugging:

The only potential plus to that is that drone-activation has only just been introduced, so most of us will be able to handle that 48hr window easily.

Advantages over DJI? Only one that I can see, you’ll get your own actual drone repaired and sent back, not just some off the shelf refurb.

My recommendation would be to buy some insurance instead of an Autel Care package :confused:

Related links, should anyone need more information:

And:

1 Like

Autel are on a roll at CES currently!

Dragonfish unveiled…

Autel Care unveiled…

And now the formerly-leaked RTK model also gets unveiled :+1:t2:

And:

1 Like

Power cut at your local football ground on their nightly match?

Not a problem, Foxfury have you covered!

They’ve also got a drug dealers best friend payload remote-drop system for the Evo 2 now too :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I’m not sure why Autel are posting this video now, and not 12 months ago…

But anyway:

Much as I love Autel, things like this just go to show they’re still a very young company.

Without a marketing department :blush:

Word on the street is that @ianinlondon has branched outside the world of DJI and is now the proud owner of an Evo 6K Pro too :+1:t2:

Welcome to the world of Orange :blush:

What made you take the plunge mate?

2 Likes

Actually mister Spike, they took the plunge with me! They asked if I was interested in doing a review or two; I had a little chat back and forth making sure I could be truthful and objective even with the down sides, they said fine and sent me one.
Must admit, chuffed to say the very least. Looks an insane piece of kit…
Timing couldn’t be worse though, or maybe that’s the reason, but all I know is I have a lot of flying, filming and editing ahead… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Top job!!

About time too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers! TBH I’ve always liked the autonomy you get with reviewing kit that you’ve bought and paid for yourself, but Autel were cool, and as said, this does look a major bit of kit…

4 Likes

I’ve just subscribed to your fine channel to be sure I don’t miss your conversion to the Evo church :smiley:

I really like what you’re doing there (even though I have no interest in DJI whatsoever). And you do have some stunning footage which is a joy to watch.

I hope Autel told you when they were planning to open up in the UK.

2 Likes

@evonne , ta for the good words! Out of interest, what specifically makes you have no interest in DJI stuff? I’m asking so I can learn why there is such a strong allegiance for the Evo? For me, I like anything that woks, irrespective of the brand. Just interested in what’s the turn off for DJI and how the Evo covers that?

They didn’t mention anything, but I’ve seen you can buy the Evo from any number of UK retailers. Or did you mean a service centre?

And thank you! :slight_smile: Have been filming some insanely early morning sunrise misty morning shots over the last few days; will be including those soon…
Cheers again!
Ian

1 Like

When I was first interested in a videography drone with a budget of around a grand, the EVO was streets ahead of the rest imho. I have no idea how their pixel shifters work but to get such clarity - and at 4K - from its small sensor was astonishing and resulted in Youtube footage which I found superior to the other makes (albeit Youtube adds plenty of processing baggage but I also downloaded lots of out-of-the-camera footage whenever I found any).

I actually preferred the form factor of the Yuneec Typhoon H with its beguiling retracting undercarriage but its video was noticeably inferior to the EVO and I couldn’t find any smooth pans (and still can’t).

I started to look at DJI but they were a bit pricier for 4K than the EVO and they also came with NFZ baggage which I didn’t want.

The major drawback on the EVO was that I had to buy it from the US at that time - and you still have to ship it back there at great expense if anything needs to be investigated or repaired. But I bit that bullet and I’ve just bought a second EVO1 so I don’t feel the need to try any other drones - at least not until I’ve mastered this one.

Anyone who sees me editing my footage on my 5K iMac screen is always blown away by it…partly because I shoot in “Vivid” colour rather than the default when I don’t have the time or need to colour grade. If you do nothing else, do check “Vivid” out. My son, a graphic designer, can’t believe it came from a drone.

I should confess to being a novice pilot (but a professional image editor) so I’m not really considering the pro features - some of which I still haven’t tried out after two years! And I also didn’t have a smart phone when I bought my EVO so its little OLED controller screen was appealing, as was the Typhoon’s bigger one.

I also like to support an underdog who is doing a great job and Autel certainly were that when I bought the first EVO. The fact that they have discontinued it is worrying though: why would they not want a sub-£1,000 drone in their range - unless a new one is in the works. Not everyone wants, needs or can process 6K or 8K video either.

Good luck with yours. I wasn’t greatly moved by the footage I saw from the 8K model but the 6K in the right hands should make me want it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! And yes, it’s a bit surprising that the 8K model only had a 1/2" sensor, which makes me wonder if it was using a quad bayer sensor and only 48 effective Mp sensor, whilst the Pro is a full 1" sensor with 20 genuine megapixels…
It’s certainly a fantastically engineered beast. I’ve asked them what their repairs situation is now for the UK…

2 Likes

Well boys and girls, here’s my first flight. Any offers of advice on the Obstacle Avoidance issue is welcome; I’ve been advised it was the Sun, which seems disappointingly basic. But also to update firmware…
Ian

10 Likes

Great video, I did crack up when you mentioned Turns ‘‘Ugly’’ or Ugerly :joy: :joy: Brilliant. super annoying OA sensors though.

1 Like