Autel Smart Controller

Looking at the layout of that controller , its what the DJI SC should have been…
Still love mine , but have to say that AUTEL SC is a beut !! :+1: :+1: :heavy_check_mark:
In particular the location of the joysticks is what i would have preferred on the DJI SC .(Wander if Autel will sell an Evo 2 6k with SC ?) have resisted so far… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Confirmed re the OS not being locked down at all, unlike the DJI SC and the CrystalSky which are both heavily modified Androids.

Interestingly, and a serious advantage over both DJI devices, the Autel Explorer app (which is the equiv of DJI GO4/Fly) isn’t firmly attached to, or restricted by, the operating system.

This means you can download and install the regular Android app as soon as it’s released. You don’t need to wait for it to be released to the Autel SC, like you have done with the DJI devices in the past.

It also means you can roll it back to previous versions just as easily too.

I’m not sure if the lack of Google background services will be an issue for other app-compatibility. It’s a safe bet that any app that using Google Maps in the background probably won’t work? :thinking:

The storage specs different slightly from the first post here. It ships with 128MB internal memory but the first post here also states it can be expanded, yet there is no MicroSD slot.

Probably not an issue at all as I don’t tend to store much on the device itself away, but it has USB-A and USB-C ports so you could always buy one of those low profile tiny card readers and expand that way if needed, or plug in an external hard drive.

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 19.33.23

The battery life seems very good too. They quote 3hrs at 2000nits and 4.5hrs at 1000nits, with a 2hr recharge time. I’ve no reason to doubt that so far. The CrystalSky also had exceptional battery life too.

My last observation for today was just how cool it runs. Having used the CS for so many years now and being aware how warm-to-hot it always run, it was very noticeable just how cool the Autel CS stayed.

One thing I’ve not tried is the range increase.

The regular controller does 9km / 5.5 miles and the Smart Controller is pegged at 13km / 8 mile range.

I’ve also ordered a couple of antenna adaptors to connect the SC to the power-amplified ground station too, be interesting to see the affects on there too.

It fits fine in the lower section of the rugged case too. Anyone would think Autel knew they were making this controller a year ago :wink:

2 Likes

New video posted by Autel today: